Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sing Blue Silver






What was meant to be a celebration of new shoes turned into a cautionary tale of what happens when you get too cute for your own good!



After a couple of pay cheques that wouldn't stretch to a new pair of running shoes I finally had enough money last week to replace my current pair of Asics Gel Speedstar 5 which have served me well,over the last 9 years Asics has been my running shoe of choice w/ very few dalliances from that,not sure how I stumbled on the Gel Speedstar 5 but it seemed to tick all the boxes,so much so that when the first pair were ready for the great running shoe resting place that I bought an identical pair and was tempted to go to the well a third time until I saw a stat that caught my eye.



One of the things that I love about the Speedstar 5 is how lightweight it is 8.9 oz.....however since the red and black model wasn't available at $69.99 and I didn't want to pay $89.99 I did some drilling around on the Asics page of Eastbay.Com where I buy all my shoes.


The same model but in silver and blue was only $69.99 so I figured why not save myself $20(or so he thought!!!) but they were women's shoes,I didn't see this as an issue and the fact the women's model only weighed 7.3oz I saw this as a win/win and promptly ordered my regular size 10.5.............




Said shoes arrived today....yea!!! time to discard my current everyday shoes(my former running shoes) to replace them w/ my current running shoes and break in the new shoes over an easy 8 miler,Precious seemed quite pleased w/ a pair of red and black shoe laces to play w/ and I wouldn't have to worry about squeezing any more miles into my current running shoes........or so I thought 2 miles into my run my toes were killing me and both my heals were rubbing on the inside of the shoes.


I guess a women's 10.5 is more like a men's 10 as my feet felt cramped inside of the shoes,I managed another mile b4 conceding defeat and turning round and walking very gingerly back home.




Clearly I need another pair of new shoes,either stick to men's 10.5 or if I want to get a slightly lighter pair go size 11 in women's,either way I'm stuck w/ a pair of slightly used 10.5's anyone is welcome to and now having to squeeze more miles out of my current pair of shoes b4 shelling out another $69.99 next week


Another issue is making up the 5 mile I lost tonite,so much for Friday being a rest day now although if we get the rain they're predicting tomorrow my hill repeats at Belmont could fall by the way side,guess we'll have to play it by ear and wait and see.








2 comments:

B said...

Kevin, you crack me up with that shoe story!! LOL

And that is just what I needed today.

Anyway I was thinking about the 5th ave mile just for fun since I know I can't run with the big dogs but it looks like a very cool race. I could do maybe 5:15 if it's flat. Would I come in last place with that time ?

kevin f forde said...

Bruce always looking to keep my readers entertained!!
I thought long and hard about that entry it would've been easy to have keep it all to myself but I don't blog about the positive and sweep the negative under the rug so that's why I went public w/ it.
Trust me 5.15 wouldn't see you in last at 5th Avenue Mile if you opt to run it in three weeks time