Sunday, August 21, 2011

50 Not Out

At a time when England batsmen are notching double centuries at will verses India,Alister Cook,Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell I was happy to notch my own half century this morning thanks to a out and back 12 miler down to Columbia Bridge via the Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Drive.
Ironically my last 12 miler came w/ my last 50 mile week(technically it was a 55 mile week) but since May 8th there hasn't been either but it was always in my mind once Nationals and the track pentathlon were over I'd rebuild my weekly mileage to 50 miles a week w/ a 12 miler on Sundays,that however got stalled last week w/ the rain and I had to make do w/ 38 miles,no such worries today as I was able to get out and get going at 10.30am.

Even though I had been a while(16 weeks) since my last 12 miler I was looking forward to it and as I cruised along the old familiar route,Cedar Ave,Baltimore Ave,Spruce St/South St Bridge,Markward Park,Schuylkill Banks/Kelly Dr it felt good to be back.
A couple of things have changed since May 8th,Markward Park is being renovated so a slightly different route through there today and a gate at the Conrail tracks at Locust Point which meant the old familiar detour along 24th St and up the steps to Walnut St and back down the steps off Walnut St Bridge,which I could've done w/out period but especially on the inbound leg when I was beginning to feel a little leg weary.

Having only just gotten back up to 8 milers post Nationals 3 weeks ago I always felt the extra 4 miles today could be an issue today but rather than pussyfoot around and make it a 10 miler I said feck it and went w/ the 12 miler and bingo I was able to grind it out over the final 4 miles today.
So 50 miles for the week,a tally I'd like keep going for the coming weeks and months till mid November when I'll bump it up to 60 for a 6 week period leading up to the indoor season but that's for another day,w/ one 50 mile week under my belt it's time to focus on the next one beginning w/ an 8 miler tomorrow.

No comments: