Friday, August 5, 2011

Getting My 80's Groove On

There are some advantages to being born in the early 60s,I have loose memories of the first Apollo mission in 69,my first World Cup memory was Mexico 70,my first Olympic memory was Montreal 76(I wish I'd been interested in running in 72 in Munich just have seen Pre in the 5,000m final)and because I turned 20 in 83 I have very vivid memories of the 80's and 80's music.
I make no bones about being a sucker for 80's music,a big chunk of my music collection is from that era:Altered Images,Bauhaus,Culture Club,Depeche Mode,Echo & The Bunnymen,Flock Of Seaguls,Go West,Human League,Inxs,Japan,Kraftwerk,Level 42,Marillion,New Order, OMD,Psychedlic Furs,Queen,Roxy Music,Spandau Ballet, TalkTalk,Ultravox,Visage,Waterboys,
XTC,Yazoo,ZZ Top to name but a few.

Yesterday I picked up tickets to see Berlin on Sunday at the World Cafe Live,to say I'm psyched is putting it mildly I haven't seen them since March of 87 when I still lived in London,I had the biggest crush on Terri Nunn back then and Wxpn DJ Robert Drake who hosts the excellent"Land Of The Lost" parties where he plays all 80's music is playing dee jay that nite b4 Berlin so it should be a great evening to forget any aches and pains from the mornings track pentathlon.
Tomorrow morning Duran Duran tickets go on sale,it's their 30th anniversary tour,I've been a fan since their second single "Careless Memoirs'' way back when in 81 and have seen the best thing to come out of B'ham since the M6 motorway on 9 previous occasions so I have to see them on this tour.
Of the 6 gigs I have on tap between now and mid October 5 are 80's bands,Berlin,Human League,OMD,Duran Duran and Howard Jones.

Easy 8 miler this evening to put me at 36 miles for the week,w/ the track pentathlon on tap Sunday I wanted a rest day tomorrow to begin w/ plus now w/ Duran Duran tickets going on sale it's nice to know I don't have to run.
I've enjoyed my 8 milers this week,they will be my bread and butter runs for the next few months as I aim to be back at 50 miles a week till mid November b4 switching to 10 milers and going to 60 miles a week as I head into winter.

2 comments:

David said...

Hey Kevin!,
Loved your hommage to the Eighties a truly great time!
I too love most of those artists and Save a Prayer was one of my all time greatest tracks for as long as I used to keep a record of my all time greatest tracks! Went to Carribean and Sri Lanka off the back of the videos for Rio. Had a mate a Uni who was a cousin of Steven (Tintin) Duffy who was a founder member of the band. I loved them from "Planet Earth" onwards!
Once had a beer with Howard Jones at the bar at Loughborough Uni after his gig (crowd was only about 200 before he had some hits).
Epic posts on the Worlds and National's was really interesting to see your perspective. Hopeing to see a further return to form.

kevin f forde said...

Dave,
you and I grew up at the same time so it's no surprise we ended up as "eighties young adults"
Save A Prayer was always one of my all time favs too and what Duran vids did for Sri Lanka Inxs vids made me want (and still want to visit Prague}
Glad you enjoyed my Worlds and Nationals posts,they were fun to write,now that I'm upping my mileage I'm curous to see what the fall has in store,my sights are set on a fast road 10k in early November