Sunday, January 29, 2012

Closing The Book On MSG?

B4 I get into the US Open at Madison Square Garden from last nite just to tie up any loose ends I ran an easy 10 miler out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway this morning to log a 40 mile week.

So the US Open at Madison Square Garden it kind of came out of nowhere, we got an invite last Tuesday to run in the club Sprint Medley relay and for my part I jumped at the chance to tread the boards at Madison Square Garden,were this event anywhere else I doubt I'd have accepted the invite but having thought I'd ran my last race here last year at the Millrose Games I couldn't resist one final chance to run here even if it meant not only running well below my distance but also going head to head w/ guys half my age.

Maybe it was written in the stars that upon entering Madison Square Garden two hours b4 the meet began I was able to not only get on the track which never happened at the Millrose Games but also run a mile on the track,I'll never run a Wanamaker Mile and chances are there won't be a masters mile here either but to jog 11 laps of the track and to be able to say I've ran a mile on that track is something I'll treasure for the rest of my career.

I always knew in terms of the race we were on a hiding to nothing,if this were a masters event yeah maybe we stood a chance of making the podium but to put things in perspective of the 24 athletes who made up the 6 team relay the three oldest guys were Bruce who's 50,myself at 48 and our anchor leg Nick who's in his mid 40's,I'm not saying the Sprint Medley Relay is a young mans game but some of our younger guys who are running Millrose need to step up for this meet next year.

Luck of the draw meant I drew lane 1 and I actually got a good reaction to the gun for once but after three strides I was left for dead by the other lead off legs and went into the first turn in 6th and last place,all I could do was keep chasing those guys and make the most of my 4 laps/580m b4 handing off to Lamar.
1.31.4. for 580m.....it's a pr and technically a club record but I don't expect to see it on clubs records page!!!

So is that it for me at Madison Square Garden? time will tell if the US Open remains at MSG{there seemed like a decent sized crowd on hand so maybe this meet will continue}but after four Millrose Games w/ one medal and a US Open I have five races on the hallowed boards where Ronnie,Marcus and Eamonn all ran so I have no qualms if I never set foot on that track again,tonite may not've been the way I'd wished to bow out but there are other races and other dreams to forfill.

2 comments:

Kevin C. Tofel said...

I was watching the ESPN2 coverage on Sunday night and while they were interviewing Lagat, your Sprint Medley kicked off. I saw you not once, but twice in the background running by. Did you see it?

kevin f forde said...

Kev,
I actually missed it as I was making dinner but a few people told me they saw me in the background as they interviewed Bernard Lagat,that's pretty cool!!!