Monday, January 30, 2012

How The Other Half Lives.....And Trains

Prior to winning his 1,500m in Glasgow on Saturday Mo Farah had been training in Kenya,it makes sense as his biggest rivals for the Olympic gold this summer in London will be Kenyans.
It must be nice to go somewhere warm in the winter to train,for me warm weather winter training is any day above freezing!!

Semi brisk 10 miler this afternoon 41 degrees and sunny,sunny enough for shades....but that's where the similarity between me and Mo screeches to a grinding halt!!!!
While watching the Espn 2 coverage of the US Open last nite a couple of things Larry Rowson and Tim Hutchings said about Bernard Lagat during the mile gave me pause for thought,they said as a 5,000m runner and not a "pure miler" Bernard probably doesn't quite have that cutting edge in the mile that he had a few seasons ago,they also cited his age,the great man is afterall 37.
There was a time going toe to toe w/ runners half my age wasn't a problem at any distance but on Saturday when those 20 somethings left me for dust in the 580m at the US Open I was made to feel exactly what I am.....a 48 year old who these days prefers 3,000m,5,000m and 10,000m.

I did say at the start of the season I probably wouldn't race below 1,500m this season unless it's a 4x800m at Nationals but the lure of Madison Square Garden saw me run the lead of leg of a Sprint Medley relay and I have to take my licks and while getting dusted sucks several people told me they saw me in the background while Espn 2 interviewed Bernard Lagat during our race so it wasn't all bad!!!

No comments: