Monday, February 18, 2008

It,s A Good Job I Don,t Suffer From Vertigo

A new week and a new challenge to kick it off,a 7 miler,further than I,ve ran in quiet a while but one I felt I was able to undertake.
In fairness GP had said to me shoot for 7 miles,if by the time you get to 5 or 6 and your not feeling it call it but I,d made up my mind it was going to be 7 miles,that,s 14 laps around Clark Park which is tough on the head more than the legs but if Allister Cragg could run 25 laps around the Tyson Center in Arkansas to win the 5,000m then I could run 14 times around Clark Park in University City to compleat a 7 miler.
Thank god for my ipod!!!I could not,ve imagined trying to do this run w/out it,I needed something up tempo and found just the band to help me,Status Quo,I realize to some it,s a case of Status who? but if you grew up when and where I grew up then Status Quo were like royality,good old South East London boys wowing their audience w/ a unique brand of rockin blues,bless their cotton socks 2008 marks their 40th anniversary and they,re still at it,I guess the old adage is a true one"you can take the boy out of South East London,but you,ll never take the South East London out of the boy"
On lap 3 it began to rain briefly but soon stopped only to return w/ vengence on lap 9,by this time I was too close to making it to a 7 miler to bail and dispite the rain,the dark and the wind I hung in there to compleat all 14 laps and give my weekly milage a jump start.
Granted I wasn,t cranking out the laps at any great pace but I was remarkably surprized at how easy it was to run 7 miles,just over 4 weeks ago I was huffing and puffing to run a mile at St Joes{ah the good old days when you could actually get on the track at St Joes!!!}and now here I am cruising through 7 miles w/out a worry,I could,ve easily added another mile or two but after 14 laps I was getting dizzy so I called it a nite

No comments: