Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It,s Just One Of Those Days

The savvy readers among you will know that,s a Limp Bizkit lyric,those of you familiar w/ me and or that lyric will gather the mood I was in,for the rest of you I recomend checking out Limp Bizkit's second album ''Significant Other"track four"Break Stuff"then you,ll know how I was feeling.You may ask what,s that got to do w/ my running?for me it has a lot to do w/ it,rightly or wrongly I,m someone who feeds off of emotion,be it good or bad,it,s funny to read old diary entries and come across entries where I had a really bad day at work only to parlay it into a blistering run home afterwards,ah those were the days when I used to run on the roads,it,s a year since I was diagnosed w/ shin splints which saw the end of road running for me,but I digress.
Following my frustrating day it was home to a quick change and out the door,ipod at the ready w/ a healthy or unhealthy dose of Limp Bizkit,Eminem and Public Enemy to jack me up for my repeat session.First glitch of the evening Kim the regular security guard was off,whenever she,s not there it,s a problem,when Kim's on duty if the Penn athletes are done she,ll let you on the track no problem, I got to Franklin Field at 5.10pm only to be told there was no access to the track till 6pm which lead me to walking around for half an hour,only to be told we couldn,t use the track till 6pm.....this dispite the fact there was someone running in lane one,now either he was a VERY old senior,or the dean of admissions or visible only to me!!!
Bottom line it was 6pm b4 I got to run,not only had all my angst worn off it was now colder and darker,if Kim had been on duty tonite I,d have been heading home at 6pm w/ my workout done in the day light and w/ my full head of steam up.
The repeat on tap tonite:2x150m,6x300m,2x150m,the twist{notice how GP loves to throw a twist into my repeats??!!}5 seconds less recovery per 300m,65 seconds after #1 and so forth down to 40 seconds for the last one.
150m#1 target time 24 secs,split 24.82,150m#27.70,I was guilty of not focusing hard enough plus having to deal w/ a strong head wind down the straight.The 300s were meant to be done in 56 seconds,#1 57.22,#2 55.29,#3 57.73,GP said the key was to remain fluid throughout and for the first three not only did I feel fluid but I began to feel like I was ready to take on the pain threshold,sadly this feeling didn,t last.
Repeat#4 59.71,#5 60.94 and #6 61.22,I think the shorter recoverys began to take their toll,I finished the session of w/ 2 150s at 26.14 and 29.35 b4 my mile cool down.
Yes I,m disappointed it went south on me at the end but at least it,s another repeat under my belt and I kept at it dispite it going south,this is still only my third repeat workout since Millrose so it,s still early on in my return to training,GP thinks hopefully by the begining of March I should be back something like my old self and the only way I can make that happen is to keep plugging away at my repeats and not letting a few slower splits get the better of me.
W/ double duty at meets on tap this week that,s it for repeats till probably next Wednesday,here,s hoping back to back races this weekend gives me a confidence boost.

3 comments:

seebo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
seebo said...

Sounds like the workout didn't go south as much as it went a bit slower than the goal times. The effort looked like it was much more than the 1000's you were doing last time.

Hang in there, you'll get there.

When thinking "One of These Days" I much prefer to think Pink Floyd, as in - "One of these days I'm gonna cut you up into little pieces."

Take that line to your meets this weekend.

Rebecca said...

I'm not sure either lyric reference (yours or Seebo's) is very polite... but, hey, what ever gets you 'round that track the fastest. Best of luck this weekend!