Friday, February 1, 2008

No Rain On My Parade

W/ two hours to go b4 I leave for New York I sit here a mixture of nervous excitment and stoic calm,not even the grey skies and rain outside can dampen the flickering embers of that competive fire that,s slowlybut most definitely going to work it,s self into a inferno come race time but there,s time a plenty for that here and now it,s a time for quiet calm and reflection,tonites race may only be less than a minutes worth of work but it,s been a lifetimes worth in the making.From humble origins on a old cinders track in Charlton Park where my track days began in the summer of June 1976 to now the majestic Madison Square Garden and the Millrose Games it,s been quite the odyssey......but let me tell you I,ve still got bigger mountains to conquer but like they say that,s for another time here and now it,s Millrose.
So many differing thoughts and emotions are racing around inside of me as I write this,so much I,d like to write but I,ll keep it to myself till tomorrow when I sit and reflect on what I hope will be one of the all time great moments of a great running career for now I,ll leave you w/ two for me poignant thoughts.
The first is a set of lyrics from the band Bloc Party,"The Prayer" has become something of a battle cry for me over the past twelve months and w/ an opening verse and chorus like this you,ll see why"Lord give me grace and dancing feet and the power to impress.Lord give me grace and dancing feet let me outshine them all.Is it so wrong to crave recognition?second best runner up Is it so wrong to want rewarding? To want more than is given to you,than is given to you?
Tonite make me unstoppable and I will charm I will slice,I will dazzel them w/ my wit.Tonite make me unstoppable and I will charm,I will slice I will dazzle,I will outshine them all"
Finally and I,m sure no sure no great surprize an Eamonn Coghlan reference,whilst looking through last years program to celebrate 100 years of the Millrose Games I found his entry for the 1983 meet"After missing the 1982 race w/ a stress fracture and achilles problems,the popular Eamonn Coghlan easily wins his fifth Wanamaker Mile"
Now I,m no astrologer but come on,Millrose,Eamonn,stress fracture is it me or are the stars aligning?we,re about to find out.

No comments: