Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Man W/ The Plan

If you,re wondering who the Sligo yoke is next to me it,s none other than my coach GP.
We,ve known each other for almost two years and in that time not only have we shared alot of laughs but more importantly ''Geep" has help transform me from a good road runner to a top notch masters track athlete,I seldom miss a chance to praise him for my rapid rise through the ranks,initially it was his guidelines of what to run and what not to run in terms of distance and then races.
Arguably it,s his repeat workouts that have transformed me from a 4.40 miler to a 4.25 5th Ave Mile Champion,from a 2.05 800m runner to a 1.59 800m National Champion so it,s no great surprize I went to the sage one again in the hopes of lowering my current 3,000m pr of 9.38 and nailing a spot in the Masters 3,000m Invitational at the USATF C,ships/Olympic Trials this coming June/July.
Following my 3 miler around Clark Park yesterday GP and I finally sat down to draw up a repeat that would help me w/, that the plan of attack was a 600m/200m repeat that went like this 1.16 through 400m,1.54 at 600m,30 second recovery,200m in 34 seconds,3 minute recovery repeat three more times.
Sadly as I,ve often eluded to in my blog when I,m left to my own devices it,s a receipt for disaster and yesterdays reaction to my woefully slow 3,00m on Monday came back to bite me in the rear today.I knew early on today during work my legs were sore from yesterday and the fact I,d ran back to back for only the second time in the last week, however undaunted by this I still walked down to Franklin Field this evening to have a crack at it.
Following my stretches and warm up laps it was straight into it,1.21 at 400m on my way to a opening 600m of 2.05 b4 a 34.94 200m,room for obvious improvement but not a bad start.1.25 for the next 400m as I clocked 2.07 at 600m but could only follow up w/ a 41.99 200m....the writing was on the wall.
GP and I said we,d shoot for 4 sets but if I could only manage 3 that,d be a start,sadly I paid for my bravardo from yesterday and pulled up at 400m on repeat#3,I just didn,t have it tonite and loathe as I am to walk away from the track w/out finishing a repeat session I knew tonite flogging a dead horse was pointless.
I,m angry w/ myself for being so gung ho yesterday,there was no need for it other than wounded pride after Mondays poor 3,000m but it cost me a much needed repeat workout today and having missed several weeks of training and all important track repeats I can ill afford to blow the ones I,ve got at my disposal now,mark my words an error in judgement like that won,t happen again it was a rookie mistake by someone who,s far from a rookie these days.
Believe me when I say tomorrows 6x Clark Park will NOT be timed it,ll be a nice easy recovery run so that I can return to Franklin Field Friday and attempt this repeat again,w/ better results I hope.

No comments: