Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Curtain Call

And so it was, this glorious outdoor track season of 2008 came to a fitting conclusion w/ win #5 as I also extended my winning streak at the season ending Wishahickon Wanderers to four in a row.
Since tomorrows Belmont hill repeats are on tap GP talked me out of the mile/800m double and had me focus on just the mile which was sound advice.
His prerace plan was 65 secs for the opening 400m,1.38 at 600m and a closing lap of 64 seconds,in his own words"I don,t care what you run the middle laps in"actually he didn,t give me a 400m split he told me 1.38 at 600m I think I felt 65 secs at 400m sounded right.
Seeded #1 w/ my 4.28 from Plymouth Whitemarsh on July 1st I knew I,d be the one pushing the pace,fine by me,however I misjudged my opening pace and came through the bell in 60 secs....,opps,as I often remark in these cases"the genie was well and truly out of the bottle now"w/ training partner and team mate Neil coming through in 65 seconds I was well clear and now had to focus on the clock.
1.35 at 600m on route to a 2.10 800m split,70 seconds for the lap,I came through the bell in 3.21,I had hoped to go 65,68,68 to clock 3.23 at the bell but my opening 400m of 60 secs had taken care of that and I,m sure I,ll be hearing about it,81 seconds is a slow split and though I managed to close w/ a 71 second last lap to clock 4.31.83 I couldn,t help but feel had I ,ve gone out 5 seconds slower in 65 I might,ve come back 5 seconds faster on the bell lap in 66 seconds....should,ve,would,ve,could,ve.
I,ll take the 4.31.83,and I,ll take the win and if I have to take some flack from GP for not running better splits then so be it,at the end of the day I was w/ no slight on the field running by myself against the clock w/ no one to push me.
Track season is over,but I consider my outdoor season officially over after 5th Avenue Mile,after tomorrows hill repeats it,ll be back to Franklin Field Friday for mile repeats.

No comments: