Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Easy Day,Easy Run

Having finally managed at the 4th attempt to stay awake till 2am to catch the Olympic Late Show last nite/this morning it was not surprizing then I felt like rolling over when my 8am alarm went off this morning,no big I eventually joined the "land of the living" as my late father Kevin would say at 10am time for a lite breakfast during the Olympics b4 heading out at 1pm for my 5 mile recovery run.
We,re at the half way stage of the Track and Field events so I,m compiling a list for my Top Ten Olympic Track and Field moments to be posted Sunday,I was thinking about a Top Ten Olympic list but frankly after the opening ceremony and Michael Phelps 8 golds that,d only only leave room for one more!!!
GP and I talked last nite re my 400m repeats,going into tomorrows repeat session I know what I need to do to improve upon my workout,as it should be in the realm of athlete/coach conversations there was open dialogue between us,in GP I have a coach not a cheerleader,he,ll praise me when I,ve earnt it,correct me when I need it,watching Jenn Stuczynski,s coach last nite after her silver medal in the pole vault I was greatful NOT to have a coach like him,ok the stakes are different at her level compared to mine however I felt he was unfairly harsh on her.
My final coaching thought comes from the late Peter Coe,Seb,s father and coach who once said"The thinking must be done first,before the training begins"long b4 I kept a blog I kept a running log and on the inside front cover I would write down great running quotes to inspire me,I still keep a running log but only to record my race and training schedule,however the inside front cover still serves as a place for quotes and Peter Coe,s will be taking it,s rightful place in there.

No comments: