Friday, August 29, 2008

A Man For All Seasons

The grey skies and threat of rain were never going to be enough to deter me from my appointment at Franklin Field this evening for my 4x1mile repeats.
Having gained an extra set of mile repeats next Friday now that Saturdays Battle Royale 4 mile xc race has been cancelled I wasn,t about to lose this weeks cos the skies were grey and while I felt a few tell tale drops of rain during my stretches conditions remained as they were,grey and overcast.
GP and I had elected not to tinker too much w/ the mile repeats,sub 5s,maybe try to start out at the high end say 4.59 and work on bringing my splits down per repeat,"Dibble" also suggested the 1st lap of mile 3 to be fast and the last lap of my 4 to also be fast,on any given track or for that matter hill repeat I,m always looking to "ctb"{cain the bejaysus}out of my last lap/repeats,tonite would be no different.
I wanted to open w/ a 1.15 1st lap...........bang right on the money,in time I,d like to be able to run the opening three laps at 1.15 per lap and then drop down to a 1.13,1.12,1.11 closing lap to put me in 4.58.4.57,4.56 range,however it wasn,t to be tonite,my slowest lap of the session 1.20 followed by a 1.19 leaving me at 3.54 at the bell,I closed in 67 seconds but missed a sub 5 barely,5.01.06 and like a bad meal this did not sit well w/ me!
A mild improventment on #2,1.15,1.19,1.19,67 to clock 5.00.15, again not sub 5 but faster than the previous split
Keeping in mind the plan to pick up the pace on mile #3 I opened w/ a 71 second first lap b4 once again seeing my pace drop to 1.19,1.18,3.48 at the bell I pulled a Usain Bolt and hit cruise control for the final lap,another 71 second lap,a 4.59.36 mile.
At least each mile was getting faster even if I,d failed to go sub 5 on the opening two,a 1.14 opening lap b4 laps of 1.18 and 1.17,3.49 at the bell"ctb"time as I threw down a 64 second final lap to clock a 4.53.47 final mile,quite possibly my fastest closing mile ever in mile repeats.
All in all not a bad nites work,if I,d just missed my sub 5s by the slimest of margins I had at least brought my splits per mile down on each repeat.

No comments: