Thursday, August 21, 2008

If It,s Late August It Must Be Time For Hill Repeats

Ah yes that time honoured tradition I,ve been proud to be a part of for the last two years has rolled around again,Belmont Hill Repeats.
I missed out on week one last year when the Wisahickon Wanderers track meet got rained out on the Tuesday and was rescheduled for the following day,god bless Chuck he went off to Belmont and did the 6xflagpole repeats by his lonesome b4 driving over to Roxboro to watch the end of the track meet,I,ve often said of Chuck"he,s the only man I know who uses track to get ready for cross country"!!!
As is often the case on these repeats it was just Chuck and I,it,d be nice if more of the team showed up for these hill repeats but that said it,s kind of neat just to be the two of us,tonite,s bill o fare 6xflagpole the same repeat that,ll close out the hill repeats in 5 weeks time,since I missed these repeats last year on week 1 I didn,t have a base time or target time to shoot for,Chuck said he thought he was running them in 2.05 last year,that was good enough for me.
We usually rotate who,ll lead off each repeat Chuck took the 1st and I was somewhat surprized to pass him on the first hill on route to a 2.02.08,I learnt the hard way in 06 when I began Belmont hill repeats that you don,t go nuts on the opening repeats if you want to finish strong and on my first lead off repeat I controlled my pace to clock a 2.02.17,2.04.43 on #3 my slowest of the session,that said it was inside the 2.05 barrier and I bounced back w/ a 2.02.29 on#4
I was feeling good,Chuck kept telling me how smooth I looked and honestly I felt I was running at a comfortable controlled pace.
#5 and I clocked 2.00.67,I will confess to feeling the pace oh so slightly at 3/4s of the way to the top of the hill b4 the sharp left along the flat towards said flagpole but there was no stopping me on the 6th and final repeat,1.50.47, a good evenings work if I say so myself

No comments: