Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kickin It Old School

After almost 6 weeks since my last track repeat workout{Jan 2nd}I returned to the hallowed oval to resume my"need for speed"
For a brief moment "Murphy,s Law" looked to trip me,yesterday had been a sunny day but now at almost 5pm as I conducted my mile warm up the grey skies threatened to open,I felt a few spots of rain fall but thankfully Murphy remembered the old credo that"us paddies must stick together"and held off..thank you.
As I antisipated Sunday the outside of the cinder track offered the best line,the inside towards the end of the home straight and top turn still carried some surface water and rather than weave allover the track I opted for the best "straight line" I could find.
The surface also dictated my choice of foot wear,I stuck to my regular running shoes over racing flats,providing there,s no rain between now and Saturday morning I,ll favour my racing flats for Saturdays mile repeats.
I knew not to go out too hard on the opening 400m,in theory I,m looking at 400s of 70,69,68,67 w/ recoveries of 90,75,60 seconds,however as we all know theory and practise is very much a horse of a different colour period,factor in my inability to judge pace and there,s usually an accident waiting to happen.
71.11 for the opener,not far off where I wanted to be,it felt natural to be back on a track doing repeats again and I was pleased not to have gone out too fast like I did on Jan 2nd.
#2, 71.10 very much a feeling of de ja vu,physically and mentally I felt good and in control.
#3, 73.44 w/ 100m to go I began to antisipate the hurting I was going to feel on the next repeat w/ only 60 seconds recovery but I did a good job casting that out of my mind as I powered up the final straighaway.
#4,75.10 that hurting I expected came w/ 100m to go but I was able to dig deep to see out the session.
Granted my times were slow and proceeded to get slower but given the layoff between repeats,the condition of the track and the choice of footwear it wasn,t all doom and gloom,I have to start somewhere and this felt as good a place as any begin,we,ll see what improvements I can make when I revist this workout next Monday.
"It,s been a long time coming but it,s good to be back"
"Change"
The Alarm.

No comments: