Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Making Hay While The Sun Shines

Steady on!!! back to back plus 50 degree temps and a fifth day in a row to run,starting to feel like a real runner again!!!!.
I knew a 5 miler was on tap b4 I set off,based on previous days at the Cobbs Creek cinder track a repeat workout wasn,t optional and probably won,t be this week due to the weather and my schedule but I,m just happy to be out running if I,m being honest.
Following my half mile jaunt from the front door to the track I began my 4 miles on the track,I had company today,another hardy soul had ventured out to log some miles,there,s always something comforting about seeing another runner when you,re out running,a companion in the madness if you like.
As a rule I don,t time my non repeat workouts but today I,d brought my newer stop watch that records splits to try and take lap splits,come sessions end I,m still no clearer on how to get my splits but I,ll eventualy get to grips w/ that.
An opening lap of 1.41 on route to a 7.01 opening mile,based on that I figured a 28 minute 4 miler was there for the taking as I splashed my way around the track,each day since Thursday the snow and ice has continued to melt,providing we don,t get hit too badly w/ snow tomorrow the track could be repeat worthy come Thursday or Friday,alas too close to Saturdays Masters Nationals XC Winter Nationals 8k,who knows maybe by next Monday I can begin to crank out repeats again.
14.10 at mile 2,a 7.09 mile,I found a line along the track to have firm footing for each lap,the latter half of the home straight and begining of the top bend are still icey but thawing out each day.
21.16 at mile 3, a 7.06 mile,now for the push a 6.44 closing mile or less would get me under the 28.00 mark,w/ the prospect of no repeat workout muchless prehaps no workout at all if the weather is bad tomorrow I opted to "have at it"over the final mile.
W/ the very real prospect of having to take on John Hinton and Tony Young in Boston in the Masters Invitational 1,500m on March 1st I cranked the up the pace for the final 4 laps,there,s still work to be done in that respect but I was pleased w/ my closing 6.22 mile to finish up w/ a 27.38.24 for 4 miles.
Jogged the final half mile home to rack up my first 5 miler since Jan 18th,it felt good to put in a full shift out there today,now I have to play the waiting game for the next few days to see if I,m able to build on this,I hope so.

No comments: