Sunday, February 1, 2009

{Quarter}Miles,{No}Medals,Memorys,Millrose

W/ the dust now settled from an historic nite at MSG and the 102nd Millrose Games here,s my story.
First off I,ll avoid the trials and tribulations of my getting to MSG,it,s a long,dumb stupid fecking story that basically stems from needing a tin of Minced Clams on Thursday,aside from costing me a missed train ride to Manhatten it also cost me the unthinkable,a meeting w/ "The Chairman"Eamonn Coghlan,to do all that justice is too heartbreakingly close to home to reveal,those who know me well know how much that hurts.
W/ warm ups and stretches done{I can now lay claim to having laid down next to uber cute Amy Acuff,who amongst you can say likewise???!!!}I got myself ready for our moment in the spotlite.
Unlike last year our foresome arrived fit and ready to lay it all on the line,as I commented to Ray how fortunate were we to do this a second time,some athletes never race at Millrose and here we were again.
Much of the opening three legs are a blur at best,I recall Scott almost overtaking Shore AC,s lead off Keith Davies going into his final turn b4 Ray then moved us upto 4th on the second leg,Southwest Sprinters and CPTC were duking it out up front w/ 2nd Wind a few meters ahead of us,Nick maintained his ground and when I received the baton I had only one thought in mind catching the 2nd Wind anchor,I tore down the back straight like a man possessed I now had two laps to try and reel him in but it was going to take a miracle.
Undetered by this I continued to hammer the pace,I didn,t I realize last year how hard it is to run on this track,running a full 4 seconds faster this year undoubtedly made that difference.
56.2 an indoor pr for me,tied w/ a 2006 identical time from The Armory,I,d give the nod to this performance over that in a tiebreaker given the contrasting types of track.
As a team we,d finished 4th in a highly respectable 3.46.94. 3 seconds behind 2nd Wind,an indoor club record and only 4 seconds off our club record from Penn in 07,to a man we began planning this years Penn Relays,w/ this foresome we can probably go sub 3.40 I feel.
Never one not to cast an eye on the future our 3.46.94 here will put us in good position to return a third time next year,who knows maybe it,ll be "third time,s a charm"I covet a Millrose Games medal in my collection.
Back stage we savoured the moment,Millrose Games,Madison Square Garden,Manhatten....really does it get any better???

No comments: