Saturday, February 14, 2009

Thinking About Tomorrow

Having been easily convinced by GP to switch my 4x1 mile repeats to tomorrow today was a throw back day,in order to reach my full compliment of 30 miles for the week I needed 13 miles,tomorrow,s mile repeats will come out to seven miles,half a mile to the track,mile warm up,4x1 mile repeats,mile cooldown,half a mile jog home,leaving me needing 6 miles today.
The very real prospect on 5 miles on the track was not one that had me chomping at the proverbial bit,20 laps....strewth,time to hit an out and back I thought.
Since my diagnosed shine splints two years ago I,ve favoured softer surfaces to run on,also the reduction of my weekly milage from 40 to 30 has made it easier to do grass lined loops of 5 miles but today I needed to revist an out and back course,thankfully user friendly Cobbs Creek is a mere 5 blocks from my front door so w/ that I mind I strapped on the old watch and set off at a conservative 7 minute mile pace along the grass lined Cobbs Creek,proving once again it is indeed possible to have ones cake and eat it too.....providing it,s a low fat cake I hasten to add!!!
I reached my turn around point in 21.20 and turned back,it was a pleasent change to be able to see different scenery plus allow my mind to drift off to far away places rather than focus on the lap count for fear of short changing myself or running over my mark.
I ,d twice ran along Cobbs Creek w/ my former house mate Steve back in 06 and 07 so it wasn,t compleatly new to me but I will confess to finding the experience a pleasurable one,an easy 6 miler in the bag I can now focus on my first set of mile repeats since Oct 23rd which may well prove to be a major shock to my system but we,ll cross,burn,jump,paint that bridge tomorrow.
One final word on today,Happy Valentine,s Day to those fortunate to have a loved one and or signifigent other/others if you,re a Mormon!!!
"We spend all of our lives goin out of our minds,looking back to our birth,forward to our demise.
We spend all of out lives goin out of our minds,they live,they stood up for love"
''They Stood Up For Love"
Live

No comments: