Sunday, March 14, 2010

50 Not Out

As I've said more than once,I am the poster child for all things Plan B so when yesterday got rained out I knew that today in all likelihood would be a 10 miler,thus giving me a 50 mile week period but also my first 50 mile week since probably 05,06 saw me beginning to back off of road races and while I did run 3 1/2 marathons I doubt I got close to 50 miles a week,so you'd probably have to go back to October of 05 as I prepped for the Athens Marathon for a 50 mile week in training.
Conditions fluctuated all morning,I woke up at 9am{technically 8am but the clocks have gone forward here.....YEA I'll willingly lose an hour of sleep for 7 months of extra daylite} it was overcast but dry.....fast forward to 10.30am and the skies opened and the rain was coming down.
By 12pm it had eased off and while I could wait it out a little longer if need be I said wtf and had at it,after all isn't that what baseball hats were created for....keeping the rain off your head??!!

Off in the distance I could see the grey sky getting lighter and in fact by the time I reached the turn around the sky was much lighter and the rain had stopped,all it needed now was the sun to come out and we'd possibly have a rainbow.
W/ the rain easing off now the second half of the run proved to be easier,although I did ditch my glasses since I couldn't really see much through them w/ all the rain.
So,another 6 day training week and another big mileage week in the books,from here on in I'll begin to taper for Boston.....which arguably has echoes of my marathon days but these days I'm ALL about the track trust me.

50 miles is a lot of mileage for me, at least but I feel I came through it w/ flyin' colours,in two weeks time as indoor season ends and I begin to transition to outdoor I'm going to be looking at all of April being devoted to 5,000m track meets and I'll probably need 50 mile weeks,somehow I'm going to have to work at least two repeats a week in,maybe one in a race week so 10 milers may well become the norm,but that as they say is for another time.
W/ this week in the books I can now begin to focus on the upcoming week,a reduction in mileage{a projected 40 miles on tap}but more importantly a final tune up race b4 Boston and Indoor Nationals and another shot at a club record this time over 2 Miles.....oh and did I mention it's Irish Week as the holiest of holy days St Patrick's Day is Wednesday....Begorah indeed!!

2 comments:

dinklesnaps said...

So you really are leaving the world of 800s and 400s in favor of 3Ks and 5Ks?

kevin f forde said...

To be honest I haven't closed the door on 800s,if ever there was a year to step outside my comfort zone and test the waters at 3,000m and 5,000m this would be the year,I do think my 400m days are probably done w/.