Friday, March 26, 2010

Looking For A Mulligan

"For Boston,for Boston thy glory is our own,for Boston for Boston tis here the truth be known
And ever w/ the right shall thy heirs be found till time shall be no more and thy work is crown'd for Boston,for Boston for thee and thine alone"
For Boston Dropkick Murphys

07 Indoor Nationals Boston
3.24.07 Mile DNF
3.25.07 800m 2.04.9 4th

08 Indoor Nationals Boston
3.28.08 3,000m 10.01.6 11th
3.30.08 800m 2.12.0 8th

09 Indoor Nationals Landover
3.21.09 Mile 4.34.2 3rd
3.22.09 800m 2.02.6 3rd

So there you have it,far from impressive,the dnf in the mile was my first ever and to date only dnf,I knew I was sick coming into the meet but didn't realize how sick,the decision to drop out was gut wrenching but tactical,what little juice I had left I'd need for the 800m the following day and thanks to a non US runner finishing 2nd I was awarded a bronze for my 4th place since these after all are the USATF Masters Nationals

A year later coming off my stress fracture I had grave misgivings about my entry,w/ hindsight I wish I'd stuck to my guns and not gone,I knew I wasn't in race shape as was woefully exposed,lesson learnt never go to a major championship unless you're firing on all cylinders

Last year I earnt 2 bronzes in 2 hard fought races and finally had an Indoor Nationals worthy of my ability,ironic it should come at a venue where in individual races I'd never done particularly well.

In Boston's banked Reggie Lewis track I have a pair of runners up places in Masters Invitational races 07 in the 800m 2.02.7. and 09 in the 1,500m 4.07.4. but as of now I've yet to put it together over a Masters Nationals weekend......ergo the need for a mulligan

In 07 I probably peaked too early for Indoor Nationals{a rookie error going into my first Indoor Nationals}and then got sick,in 08 I learnt the hard way that 8 weeks was enough time to run,just not run fast.
Last year again I may've peaked too early b4 gutting out my two 3rd places finishes.
This year I got off to a late start w/ my indoor season,the clunk that was heard around the world on Jan 7th was my arse being handed to me on a plate in the mile at The Armory but it awoke a sleeping giant and for the past 10 weeks I've whipped myself into I think the best shape I've been for an Indoor Nationals......Gentlemen start your engines..........

No comments: