Monday, March 15, 2010

Irish Eyes Not Smiling At More Feckin Rain

"We were halfway there when the rain came down of a day I ay I ay and she asked me up to her flat downtown of a fine soft day I ay
And I ask you friend,what's a fella to do cause her hair is black and her eyes are blue so I took her hand and I gave her a twirl and I lost my heart to a Galway Girl"
Galway Girl-Steve Earle.
Sweet jaysus,when the choice of foot wear is flats or flippers you know it's damp.....seriously I thought I'd have to develop feckin' gills the way it's been raining since Friday!!!
When the AOL Weather says there's an 80% chance of rain all day you know even the luck of the Irish in the lead up to St Patrick's Day isn't probably gonna help you get a run in and so it turned out.
After a long dry spell during the early afternoon I got myself mentally ready to hit Franklin Field for 5x1,000m repeats....however at 3.40pm as I grabbed my running clothes out of my bag on the way to get changed I saw the rain cascading down...so much for that I thought.....upon leaving work at 3.50pm the rain had eased off...should I go back and grab my bag and head to Franklin Field???
Imagine my horror when the el emerged from underground at 40th St{7 blocks from Franklin Field} and no rain......bollocks!!!!
Not only had I pushed back my track workout till tomorrow but I'd left my bag w/ my running gear at work.....so now I couldn't even do an easy run at 6,8,or 9 miles.....gobshite!!

However as I sit here now listening to cars driving through the surface rain I can see that oh so feckin annoying on again/off again rain....make yer feckin mind up will ye,rain or don't rain but please stop pissballin around{sidebar I'm watching Liverpool batter Portsmouth 4.1 in the Premiership it's.....raining goals.....Liverpool are raining on Pompey's parade and since Pompey are going down to the Championship I guess that's the end of their Premiership...reign.....see what happens when I can't run!!!}
Glass half full today's DNS may actually work in my favour,obviously Friday's 2 miler is the focal point of my week so w/ a bit of rearranging of the old schedule and a look at the 7 day forecast being oh so favourable I could do the following:
Tuesday 3x1,000m a bit of speed work but at a reduced rate than the 5x1,000m I had planned for today,Wednesday easy 9 miler,Thursday easy 4 miler,Friday 2 mile race,Saturday 9 miler,Sunday 10 miler....40 mile week.

2 comments:

The Laminator said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog. Good insight and perspective. Lots to think about for me! Thanks.

kevin f forde said...

Lam,
as always great to read your blog,great question and clearly based on the comments you got alot of runners have thoughts on the age old question,when I began running in high school way back when{76}there was talk about the Olympics and maybe I'd be good enough w/ the right training etc...34 years later I'm not sure I'd still be running now if I'd gone the professional route,yeah maybe Moscow,Los Angeles,Seoul....but the 64 billion dollar question would I still love the sport now?