Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pretending To See The Future

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine

Another 8 miler in the books this evening as I continue my step up in mileage.
I have one eye on the 5 day forecast as rain seems to be the word du jour from Friday onwards,we'll just have to play that by ear and hope for the best and if need be make adjustments to my schedule.
In running as in life it's seldom wise to look too far beyond the end of your nose,that said I'm one of those type of people who like to have an idea of what lies ahead,my main focus is on next Fridays 2 mile race at The Armory and hope that I can take the club record of 10.5.8.
After that it's Boston and Indoor Nationals the following weekend,and while I'm fully focused and committed on my three,possibly four races there trust me when I say following my final race on the Sunday be it the 800m or the 4x400m relay I'll be ready to transition to outdoor track...and how!

Normally there's a few down weeks b4 outdoor meets surface but I've already lined up three meets the first three weekends after Indoor Nationals.
I said leading up to last Saturday's 3,000m that providing things went well I'd probably consider moving up to 5,000m this outdoor season so for my first three races in April I'm looking at college meets over 5,000m w/ the hope that not only can I lower my 2005 pr of 17.03 but also the club record of 16.29.7,off of a 9.13.6 3,000m pr I have to believe I'm capable of getting down to 15 minutes and providing I can do that them maybe just maybe I can convince the powers that be at Distance Nite At Penn Relays that I'm worthy of a place in the Olympic Development 5,000m....how frickin' awesome would that be?

First things first I have to lower my times so on April 3rd I'm looking to race at either Franklin Field or Stockton{I'm leaning towards Franklin Field as it's closer to home and my home track}
on April 10th there are meets at Delaware and Ichan Stadium{leaning towards Ichan}and then April 17th University Of Delaware,fingers crossed I can get into a meet each weekend and lower my 5,000m time,how boss would it be to run the Olympic Development 5,000m under the lights at Distance Night at the Penn Relays?

Looking further ahead and the reason for the Steve Prefontaine quote,I said once I set my sights on the club records for 3,000m,2 Miles and 5,000m I may have to consider the 10,000m,as of yet there is no club record,mainly because most track meets don't offer the 10,000m.
My best bet would be Outdoor Nationals which next year will be in Illinois,they'll be in June to accommodate Worlds in early July in Sacramento so I could go to Nationals in Illinois to run the 10,000m.......or I could cross off the second to last of my running to list stand outs...go to Haywards Field Oregon and run the 10,000m at the Haywards Fields Masters Classic in June,if I'm gonna run at Haywards Fields it's gotta be a distance race and since Indoor Nationals is in New Mexico next March chances are I'm not going so the money I save then could pay for Haywards,but that's all in the future,closer to home it's another 8 miler out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway tomorrow,granted not as glamorous as a 10,000m at famed Haywards Field but necessary if I'm gonna get there

No comments: