Wednesday, March 31, 2010

#3,#6,#3/Blue Sky Mine

A gloriously sunny day after the drenching we took yesterday and a nice easy 9 miler to keep things ticking along.
The end of Indoor Season's rankings were on Masterstrack today,thanks to my weekends worth of work I finished the indoor season ranked#3 over 3,000m,#6 over the mile and #3 over 800m,not too shabby if I say so myself,but as I said after stepping off the track at Reggie Lewis on Sunday it's time to start preppin' for outdoor season.

Too often in the past there's been too long a gap between my last indoor race at the tail end of March to the first outdoor meet in mid to late April if you're lucky,no such worries this year,I have a 5,000m on Saturday afternoon at Franklin Field at the UPenn meet.
After countless repeat workouts there since Jan 06 it's gonna seem unique if not a little strange to race there,granted I have 4 years of Masters 4x400m relay experience to draw on but frankly those 54-56 second laps blow by SO quickly it's hard to take it all in,it's like the Johnny McGrawry story
"Will I tell ye the story,of Johnny McGrawry,shall I begin it,well that's all that's in it"it's over b4 it's even began so 12 and a 1/2 laps ought to be interesting even if the stands aren't packed w/ 40,000-50,000 cheering fans....oh and did I mention this'll be my first 5,000m track race since 05?
Time {literally}will tell if I make it back to Franklin Field for the Olympic Development 5,000m at Penn Relays,Saturdays time will go a long way to determine that....but as I oft like to quote,one race at a time,and never look beyond the race right in front of you.

Oh I almost forgot to wish those of you who celebrate it a Happy Passover,just because I was raised Irish catholic dosen't mean I'm not cognisant of other religions,a happy and peacefully Passover to those of you who observe it.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Kevin,

Congratulations on your performance at Nationals. A question for you. You mentioned taking an ice bath a couple of times. Can you elaborate on the techniques of taking an ice bath? May seem silly, but wondering how long, how much ice etc.

Thank you,

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Thanks Rob.
The ice bath method I used was running cold water and dumping 4 buckets of ice into the cold water{bucket being the term for small hotel room ice bucket}
I will confess the first ice bath was COLD!!!had to run some hot water to allow myself to submerge my legs below the water level,after that I sat for 15 mins,clutching a hot cup of tea,harsh maybe but the results have always justified such actions

Rob said...

Thankyou. I suspected that was probably the technique, but like a lot of things, people talked about "taking an ice bath" as if everyone just knew, but at the same time never really said what was involved. Again thankyou.

kevin f forde said...

Rob,
I'm sure there are variations on the ice bath technique this is the one that's always worked for me and trust me it's always worked,nothing like some ice cold water to get the blood flowing quickly