Saturday, September 4, 2010

Howling Wind

"There's a rushing sound that is sometimes heard when your mind won't let you sleep,it's a flickering sound of a thief who's come to tear up all theses dreams
Stealing from the heart,stealing from the soul,stealing from the future on the wind that blows away my words
Blows away my reason,blows away my soul,taking my existence the wind that blows away my words"

The Wind Blows Away My Words-The Alarm

First up a recap of yesterday,w/ the best will in the world I had planned to get up and run prior to my departure to New York for the US Open, a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak,on the weekends when I run I usually need at least an hour after waking up b4 I get out and run but w/ an 8am departure to the Big Apple on tap try as I might I could not summon the energy to get myself up and out the door by 5.30am off a 5am wake up and so I nixed it....when I originally drew up my week Friday was my day off as I felt it would be wishful thinking to get up at 5am and be out the door by 5.30am to run but having lost Monday and Tuesday I harboured remote hopes of getting a run in yesterday....it didn't happen but rather than beat myself up over it I'm chalking it up to"one of those weeks"much like the week of July 5th when I lost days due to the extreme heat and had to settle for a 40 mile week this week will go that route also.

After a long but thoroughly enjoyable day at the US Open it was back to business today and the much delayed 2x150,4x400m,decathletes mile,I had tried to run it Monday only to have to play second fiddle to band practice and then on Thursday the track was occupied but I was confident that being a Saturday I'd have the track to myself today and I did.
Following my warm up and stretches it was time to see what I had after a topsy turvy week,I've always said we can all be ''world beaters" when things are going are way,it's how we deal w/ a spanner in the works that shows what we're made of.

2x150-22.23-22.42.For me 21s are the bench mark for my 150s so I was only a shade off but it was very evident down the back straight that the wind was going to be an issue.
4x400m
#1 400m 64.44.Not the start I was hoping for,the fact I never left home till 11am for my workout when normally I'm out the door by 9.30am-9.45am confirmed my belief I was feeling fatigue,hardly a surprise this week but not an excuse I like to use.
#2 400m 64.49.Clearly I was not going to scale the heights of weeks #3 and #4 today but rather than mail it in I was going to grind it out.
#3 400m 63.78.I felt I was finally starting to get a read on the wind and work the top turn and home straight,having notched 63s in week #2 in some respects I was going backwards but at least I was fighting back rather than let the wind and the fatigue win w/out a fight.
#4 400m 63.15.The day I stop fighting is the day I might as well hang up my flats just because it wasn't going my way didn't mean I could run up the white flag....Never Surrender.

Decathletes Mile 1.19,1.25,1.22,70-5.16.1.When I opened in 1.19 I pretty much knew what was in store but I had to hang in there and see it through,sure after 4 weeks of seeing my mile drop from 5.15.1-5.08.1-5.04.2-4.58.9. it was frustrating to notch my slowest mile to date but w/ everything that's happened this week I'm pleased that I had the chops to at least go out and fail rather than stay home and second guess what if?

In training as in racing,some days you just don't have it,today was one of those,yes it's disappointing but if you"hit ten"every time it's easy to be complacent,this set back will force me to dig deep and look to bounce back next week.

No comments: