Monday, September 20, 2010

Inspired,Side One


My recent rediscovery of my love of Nick Hornby helped inspire me to get off my arse and make my brothers mix tape that I'd been threatening to make for weeks/bordering months.
I'll do side one tonite which will then allow me to read a few chapters of the second of three Mix Tape Trilogy books"Love Is A Mix Tape"and let you know how that's going,I managed to read the first chapter this evening and feel this is going to be one of those books that I won't want to put down as I look to get back on track w/ my reading,something that's fallen by the way side over the last few years.
So,here for you delectation,side one of "McPhisto's Ipod Mix.
Us- Regina Spektor,from the soundtrack of "500 Days Of Summer" one of my favourite Regina Spektor songs
Herculean- The Good,The Bad & The Queen, Damon Albarn has one of those voices be it w/ Blur or The Gorilaz this song was just"one of those songs"that I feel in love w/ the first time I heard it.
Cheap Trick-The Flame,a song that has made previous mix tapes including"Songs In The Key Of E"a mix tape for my ex wife Erica.
Missy Higgins-Where I Stood,a song used in an episode of "One Tree Hill" during the Lucas,Peyton, and his publicist love triangle,the song fits that whole story told from the angle of a former girlfriend.
Time And Time Again Live-Counting Crows,one of those classic live versions that is so superior to the original studio version,"Every Colour You Are" by David Sylvian also falls into that category and is also on my ipod.
Cinderella-Hot And Bothered,I meant to put Nobody's Fool on the tape but Hot And Bothered works,it's another song that's featured on a previous mix tape of movie soundtracks as it was on one of the "Wayne's World" soundtrack.
Kathleen Edwards-Oil Man's War,an embarrassment of riches where Kathleen Edwards is concerned,any number of her songs could've made this tape and almost anything off of "Asking For Flowers" would've fit.
Gary Numan-Seed Of A Lie,due to an oversight on my part this track was left off my Gary Numan mix tape that I made for my brother at the end of last year,note to self check your ipod b4 committing to the final track listing!
Social Distortion-When She Begins,again I could've picked any number of Social D tracks,I chose this one as it reminds me of a friend of mine,"when she begins to rock,honey I begin to roll"
Joan Osbourne-Cathederals,it took a while for Joan Osbourne to grow on me,"One Of Us" got played to death back in the day but she's proven w/ subsequent cds she's not a one hit wonder.
Pearl Jam-Long Road,I wanted "Given To Fly" as it's one of if not my favourite Pearl Jam songs but there was a problem w/ my copy of "Yeild" and it wouldn't play on my cd player so I opted for Long Road another movie soundtrack song from"Dead Man Walking"
Carter USM-Sheriff Fatman,the lovable South London pranksters,a Carter mix tape is in the works given that in spite of my almost 23 years here"you can take the boy out of South East London,but you can't take the South East London out of the boy"
Katie Melua-Twisted,I discovered Katie Melua as the musical guest on "The Graham Norton Show" earlier this year and fell in love w/ her
"Twisted" cropped up one day on shuffle and has stuck inside my head ever since and destined to make a run at the top 25 most played tracks on my ipod.

No comments: