Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekend Update

First up apologies for the tardiness of my blog entries,between being stuck at the longest track meet in the history of mankind on Saturday and having a battle w/ my pc yesterday as to who could be more temperamental{the pc may've won yesterday but long term I'm more likely to wear that crown....seriously if the Olympics had a contest for being temperamental I'd win the gold for Ireland by a country mile!!}it's only now I'm getting around to blogging.

Saturday,sweet jesus,I thought Summer Solstice was months off,mid June,I left home at 7.45am and returned at 7pm,all this for a race that only takes 57 seconds....and considerable insult to injury as of this morning the official results still aren't posted...as Chuck commented"maybe the meet is still going on"....at the pace they were moving Saturday that's a real probability.
I arrived at the University Of Delaware just after 10am....and didn't run till just after 4pm....six frickin hours.....seriously are you shittin me???
I recall going to PGI in Landover a few years ago and waiting forever to run and vowing never to return for that meet well frankly this meet can join that.
Don't get me wrong I think it's great high school kids want to run,they are after all the future of our sport but if that's the case run two meets,one for high schoolers one for open and masters athletes because to sit around for 6 hours to wait to run your event is a joke,christ only knows what time the 800m or 3,000m went off.....maybe they're still going on??

As best as I know I ran a high 57,maybe low 58 for the 400m,not fast enough to make it on to the Millrose Games A team that's for sure,am I disappointed?sure but I said way back in mid August if I didn't make either the Millrose or Penn relay squads it wouldn't be the end of the world for me,and I stand by that comment now in early January in the harsh light of day that at best I'll only make it to Madison Square Garden on Jan 28th IF we get a b team accepted in to the event,I'd be surprised if lightning struck twice in the same place like it did a year ago.
Being realistic,Millrose Games owes me nothing,I've been fortunate to run on that track four times,race there three times and have a Millrose Games medal in my collection and frankly running 50/60 miles a week now to get ready for worlds in July doesn't afford me 55/56 second 400m speed in early January,I've only managed four repeats since December 13th,I lost two last week and obviously w/ two races on tap this week I couldn't get any in this week.

Yesterday I awoke to frigidly sub zero temps and the prospect of my 16 milers at 10.30am was not warming the cockles of my heart....or anywhere else for that matter,I ended up running 11 miles in the afternoon,having spent an entire day at Delaware on Saturday had seriously eaten into my chores,thank god I'd had Friday off to get a jump start on things.
Frankly the late start to my run meant a two hour 16 miler was pushing it if I wanted to knock out the domestic chores of food shopping and laundry but after some considerable thought an 11 miler to round me out at 50 miles for the week in a week w/ two races isn't so bad.
Of course w/ another bout of snow on tap it remains to be seen what kind of mileage I can manage this coming week.
This is the weekend update,I'm not Dennis Miller

No comments: