Saturday, January 29, 2011

4th Again At Millrose

Much like the old Monty Python sketch Secret Service where the punch line goes"still I was getting used to it by now"that's kind of how I feel this morning waking up after our 4th place finish yesterday at the 104th Millrose Games.
Remarkably Central Park Track Club were a no show,it's almost inconceivable to have a Millrose Games w/out Central Park but there you go.

Always felt Southwest Sprinters would win and from their lead off leg it was obvious that would happen perhaps the surprise for me was Shore AC going into second,Keith Davis has been MIA for a few years but looked to be back to his oldself last nite w/ Scott Landis in third and Craig Strimel our lead off in 4th.
Scott finally caught Keith Davis b4 his hand off to Ray Parker but Bruce Rash another of our "Millrose Rookies" had too much ground to make up on Shore AC's second leg Tom Cawley.

Having ran anchor for the past three years it was a new experience lining up on the far side of the track to run the third leg but to be honest after that awful 400m at Delaware almost three weeks ago I didn't expect to be back here.
By the time Bruce handed off to me I was well adrift of Shore AC's third leg however I did close the gap by the time we got to the final exchange zone but it was going to take a miracle or accident now for us to get bronze......

Coming off the final turn "Downtown Dave Brown" tripped coming off the final turn and dropped the baton.....fortunately for him he was not only well clear of Pat Dolan the Shore AC anchor the baton didn't roll off the track,this is what I talked about on Thursday the unpredictable nature of the relay.
4th in 3.57.6 much quicker than the 4.04 seed time we had off our recent individual 400s,when Chuck posts the splits I'll log them.

Post race I cooled down to make sure I had 2 miles for the day to put me at 21 for the week I need to post a 13 miler today and 16 tomorrow to log another 50 mile week.
Is this my final Millrose Games?never say never,obviously last year w/ Southwest Sprinters being a no show it allowed our B team the chance to move up a place and snatch a bronze,I said at the time I felt we "caught lightning in a bottle" last year and maybe that was my one chance to earn my highly sought Millrose Games medal but we'll see what happens come next December/January.

No comments: