Sunday, June 24, 2012

Inspiration,Determination,Perspiration And Frustration



Well,track geek that I am means the next week will see me obsessing over the US Olympic trials in Eugene.
There's already been high drama in the opening three days of events,redemption for Dathan Ritzenhein and Amy Hastings in the 10,000m after both finishing 4th in the marathon trials earlier in the year,Ashton Eaton's world record in the Decathlon,the unpresidented dead heat for third in the womans 100m between Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh which will probably require a head to head race in one of the upcoming Diamond League meets to determin who gets the final berth in the 100m and then yesterday we witnessed the 2004 400m champ Jeremy Wariner fail to make the team for London in six weeks time.

I was inspired by Fridays races to notch my best set of 6x600s on Saturday morning at Lower Merion and getting me back on track no pun intended to hopefully going sub 1.45 b4 I depart for Lisle Illinois for Nationals also in six weeks time,having slowly worked my way down from 1.50's when I began in mid April my progress was halted by my partisipation in the Mid Atlantic C'ships two weeks ago and a hiccup last week after "musical running tracks"hopefully my final 4 6x600m between Saturday and July 28th will continue in the fashion Saturdays did.

I rounded out my week w/ an out and back 10 miler along the river via South St Bridge,Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Drive yesterday morning,w/ a return trip to New York on tap Tuesday I opted against the traditional 14 mile "long run" but factored that in to my weekly mileage to allow me a 40 mile week,w/ my own trip to Oregon on tap in three weeks and the start of my taper I'm eager to notch 40mpw these final three weeks.
It was a hot one even at 10.20am as the pile of sweat soaked running clothes on the hardwood living room floor bore testimony to post run.....thank God for dri fit running clothes.....and laundry day!!!!my running clothes took a pounding this week and it's probably gonna get hotter and steamier as the summer progresses.

Finaly the enevitable....England going out of a championship on @#!$ing penalties!!!!
Six times since Italia 90 we've gone out on penalties,it felt like it was destined to go that way,not a single 0.0 during Euro 2012 thus far so you just felt one was due and sure as shit we got it!
When Italy missed their second spot kick there was the chance we could end the curse that has haunted us for the past 22 years.....yeah right! w/ the scores at 2.2 Ashley Young cracked his penalty off the crossbar and then w/ Italy now 3.2 ahead Ashley Cole had his saved leaving Italy to score their next spot kick and send England home from another tournament lamenting their inability to win penalty shoot outs......thankfully I still have five days of Olympic Trials to enjoy.

No comments: