Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Haywards,The Journey,The Story,The Victories



There's a sign post outside the main gate of Haywards Field that has all the locationls of the Olympic Games and the respective distances from those cities to Eugene......London is over 5,000 miles away and essentially that's where this journey began 36 years ago in the summer of 1976 when Haywards Field hosted the Olympic trials I was winning my freshman high school 400m and 800m titles,fast forward 36 years later and I was here at the mecca of American track and field hoping to run in the illustrious footsteps of those who had gone b4 me.

I arrived in Eugene at lunchtime on Friday following a flight from Philly to San Fran and then a connecting flight to Eugene,thanks to a ride to my hotel from a fellow masters runner I then walked the 40 mins from the Motel 6 to the track.
Ever the Boy Scout I had done the Google map directions from hotel to Haywards Field but need not have worried I passed at least three street signs for the University of Oregon on my way there.
Cutting through the campus I happened to look up and see the stand on the home straight ahead of me,the big green stand w/ Haywards Field Oregon in yellow on the side.....it was I will confess "a sharpe intake of breath" moment for yours truly.
Tempted as I was to jump on the track for an impromptu lap or two I opted to save it for my races over the next two days,as I sat in the stand I marveled at how on a warm day (85 degrees) I had goosebumps on my arms as I sat there trying to absorb the history all around me the legacy of Bill Bowerman,Pre and all those who'd competed here b4 me,I was in track nirvana for sure!

I returned to Haywards Field the following lunchtime for the first of my two races over the weekend the 800m,I was heartened by the sound of a race announcer as I made my way to the main gates along Agate St and also the sight of a few hundred spectators in the main stand I hadn't antisipated either so suddenly my Haywards Field experience had kicked it up a few notches.
After picking up my race packet I took my place in the main stand near the finish line and killed time till 1.15pm b4 heading over to the warm up track behind the main track to stretch and warm up w/ a mile and half jog.
Reporting to the clerking tent I waited patiently for the second heat of the masters 800m to be called
The 9 man field ran from 45-49 through 55-59,I wasn't the youngest runner in the field but I was given lane 1 w/ my biggest threat to a victory Thomas Kreupenintner just outside me in lane 2.
My reaction to the gun could've been better,I need to work on that but I quickly made up the stagger on Thomas and made my way to the front of the field b4 the brake lane atop the back straight.
I heard 31.24 at 200m and saw 62 seconds at the bell,pretty much where I was in both my recent 800s.
I didn't hear my 600m split but wasn't too concerned,my only concern was staying upright coming off the Bowerman turn and up the home straight to the finish.
Feeding off the appreciative crowd I won in a seasons best 2.08.8. a second faster than my win at Widener and also my Ichan 800m two weeks ago.
I would've prefered faster but I take solice from my opening 31/31 for a 62 second opening 400m,I'm convinced I can run faster at Nationals in three weeks time.
One down,one to go!

18 hours later I returned for the 1,500m on a slightly overcast grey Oregon morning,a far cry from the sunshine and heat of the pervious afternoon.
Ever the boy scout I'd thrown a long sleeve Villanova shirt and 3/4 length bottoms in my bag for the weekend in case of milder weather.
Following a 2 mile warm up on the practice track I reported to the clerking tent one last time b4 being lead out to the 1,500m start,seven of us to do battle Thomas Kreupenintner and his Oregon Track Club team mate Donnie Nelson{winner of the 5,000m in 16.16 yesterday} stood between me and a unique double.
From the gun I eased my way to the front of the field w/ the OTC boys right behind me,69 seconds at 400m I was aiming for 70 second splits so it was pretty much going to script.
2.21 at 800m a 71 second split a far more even 1,500m than the one I ran at Widener on June 9th.
Just over 600m to go and Thomas and Donnie both overtook me,stay calm I told myself as I tucked in around the bottom turn but made a point of moving off the rail and into the outside of lane one coming up the home straight to the bell.
3.16 at the bell I opted to go now rather than w/ 200m to go,if I was going to go down I should go down swinging.......
No such worries I dropped a 65 second closing lap and put daylight between myself and Thomas and Donnie on route to another Haywards Field victory,4.20.2.another seasons best improving on the 4.23.7. I ran at Widener five weeks earlier.

Post 2 mile cool down I collected my backpack from the clerking tent and began making my way home,in essence I'd flown across country for just under six and a half minutes worth of work......but HELL if it wasn't worth it!!!!!
I hope to return to Haywards Field in the near future,a future Masters Nationals MUST be on the cards.....hint hint,he said,wink wink!!!!!!!
There are several lasting memories from this visit,hearing my name being announced at Haywards Field,being proclaimed as the winner of both races period but also w/ two seasons bests,seeing my name on the famed Haywards Field scoreboard,hearing the crowd cheer for me up the home straight coming off the Bowerman turn will all live w/ me for the rest of my natural days but my final everlasting memory is one I didn't expect.

I don't see my self as a role model for anyone let alone the nations youth but as is my won't at Nationals I sought out a few race officials post event to shake their hands and thank them for their efforts over the weekend,I feel we as athletes overlook the role officials play in the event,we the athletes probably could do what we do at the events w/out the officials but we couldn't do it as well and as organized so it's something I've made a habit of in recent years,thanking one or two officials for all their help,it costs me nothing and hopefully makes the officials feel part of the whole process.
The woman in charge of the clerking area and getting the athletes their hip numbers and onto the track for their events told me some of the youth athletes were impressed quote" the older runner in the shamrock bandana is really fast".......
Like I said I'M NOT A ROLE MODEL but if at almost 49 I can inspire the next generation of track athletes that there's still life after high school and college in track and field I've done something positive,and on a final footnote while some questioned the decision to make the Haywards Classic a Masters and Youth meet I say this,the kids got to see that even after college they can still compete on a regular basis in track and field and also by adding the youth meet the crowd size swelled considerably, I'd have been happy to run at Haywards Field in front of "one man and his dog".....thanks to to the youth meet I didn't have to and the sound of the stand on the home straight cheering me to the finish line will stay w/ me for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

B said...

Very cool. Great Job Kevin all your hard work paid off !! And you are right about the officials and the youth. When I was a kid, I thought 50 as over the hill and ancient. Well not any more, see guys like you and others on our team opened my eyes to the possibilities that await those who are willing to pay the price of admission. Those who push on when the the lungs are screaming for air! Nice work brother! That is such a cool place to run and to run so well there is a double bonus !!

kevin f forde said...

Cheers Bruce