Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Blue Eyed Jersey Devil

I already used the Bono"they said it,d be something special in New Jersey"quote this season at Monmouth but today at Stockton College over xc I proved that the "Garden State"is a happy hunting ground for me
Ideal xc conditions in late September,grey but cool,a flat 6k course and I was rearing to go.
From the gun I eased my way towards the front of a 50 strong pack,Chuck and I were the only non college runners in this race which was an open race for college males,I kept a close eye on where Chuck was in the opening 200m but as the field begun to funnel onto the narrow path I moved my way forward,a lead pack of Richard Stockton runners had hit the front and I felt comfortable getting up there w/ them.
W/ last years winner begining to establish a convincing lead I passed two of his team mates b4 the 1k mark,3.02,the kilometer split threw me for a brief second b4 I was able to get my head around the notion,I,m used to 400m splits and or mile marks.....old habits die hard.
Comfortably in second place I clocked 6.16 at 2k,suddenly my pre race target time of 24 mins seemed way too soft,I was on pace for a 20 minute time,I clocked 9.42 at 3k,the leader was putting himself out of sight but I knew I had a shot at a top three finish,I was aware of the close proximity of 3rd and 4th,all I had to do was hold on.
I don,t recall seeing a 4k mark,even when Chuck and I jogged the course post race I never did see it......of course I never saw the 1 mile marker either!!!!
I was joined by the third place runner b4 we hit 3 miles,he asked if I was the leader,I told him there was another runner ahead,we ran along side one another b4 he overtook me,I saw the 3 mile mark,16.03 having jogged from roughly the start to the 3m mark pre race I now knew what to expect for the final kilometer.
16.41 at 5k...whoa,something to bare in mind.........still third and 4th place nowhere near in sight I felt I had things in hand,I ,m proud of the fact that when second place missed the right hand turn on the approach to the finish I was nobel enough to yell"make a right" and allowed him to catch up and then overtake me to reclaim 2nd place,I wanted second but I wanted to come by it honestly.
Making the final turn and getting on to the grass I knew to rev up my kick,as we rounded the hammer throwing cage I had enough room on the inside to make my move and as the home straight and finish line appeared I kicked for home.
Second in 20.12.90.pr and club record in one shot,a nice mornings work if I say so myself,second overall and a medal to boot..............nice!!!!
As Chuck and I jogged the course as a post race warm down we discussed the prospect of me ditching Radnor in favour of Masters Nationals down in North Carolina,I,m leaning towards Nationals,yeah it,s a hike but w/ my profile higher than it,s ever been right now I need to continue to ride the wave,where better than Nationals,based on todays performance that sub 17 min 5k is there for the taking,I told Chuck I,m leaning towards coming to Nationals,I need to talk it over w/ "Dibble"and see what he thinks,I think he,ll endorse the road trip to Nationals,I,m also thinking he,ll endorse a day off tomorrow,twice around the course today plus a 2 mile warm up came out to 10 miles,giving me 30 for the week,we,ll see what he says on both counts.
Oh yeah this just struck me,I think the reason why New Jersey has become a happy hunting ground.....it,s where Zakk Wylde,s from,coincidence??I,ll bet my Philadelphia chapter of the Black Label Society it isn,t.........peace

No comments: