Wednesday, September 3, 2008

3 By 3 Times 6

Week three of the hill repeats and tonite Chuck and I were joined by Fred Kenny who usually comes out once a year on our 6 weeks of hill repeats,personally I thought Fred could,ve picked an easier set of repeats than 6x Parachute but that,s just my opinion!
Last year on said repeats I went:1.36.14,1.35.02,1.40.51,1.35.20,1.44.76,1.33.01,I felt more than capable of improving on those splits tonite based on my opening two weeks here.
An honest miscalculation of the finish cost me on #1,I stopped a couple of meters shy of where the finish is and watched in horror as Chuck flew by me to the actual finish,the first hill repeat he,s beaten me on this season,my 1.31.98 would,ve been somewhere in the 1.33 region had I,ve realized the finish was slightly further ahead of where I stopped,we,ll call it 1.33.98 w/ an * next to it.
No such worries on repeat #2 as I clocked an official 1.31.64,I was already well up on last years times,having traded off on taking out the first two repeats Chuck again suggested I take them out since I looked to be faster than him,it,s almost as if Chuck was handing the torch over to me,Chuck IS xc running and while three good repeat sessions does not make me the finished article where xc racing is concerned I can,t help but wonder what the upcoming xc season may have in store................if any of the races I picked ever happen!!!
Battle Royale has already been 86ed,it may or may not be rescheduled,Osprey 6k may not happen according to Chuck,Catholic League 5k has to be rescheduled and it sounds like it could be on a week day,so that,s up in the air,Bad Boy 8k and NYRRC 5k may be cancelled as the outside fields at Van Cortlandt Park have been ripped up,so that,s 5 of my 8 xc races there,it remains to been seen if the prepossed Surekill 10k goes ahead in Dec......oi to the vay!!!
Repeat #3 1.34.87,at first I thought I might,ve been guilty of not focusing 100% on the hill section of this one but when I ran #4 in an almost identical 1.34.85 I realized maybe I was just getting a little tired,again I was ahead of last years splits.
Repeat #5,1.37.45 my slowest of the evening but still some 7 seconds faster than last year,one more to go,an all out attack on this one which yeilded a 1.29.58,probably my fastest ever spilt for Parachute.
A mile cool down on the outer loop to round out tonites milage at 5 miles,I,m on pace for a 31 mile week.
Easy 5 mile recovery run tomorrow,b4 4x1 mile repeats Friday now that Saturdays Battle Royale has been cancelled,next week 6x Parachute but rotating between the front and back,tonite was all on the front next week #1#3 and #5 will be up the front w/#2,#4 and #6 on the back hill,the same hill we finished last weeks 4x Nursery/Parachute on

No comments: