Saturday, September 13, 2008

S.D.M.F.

The title is from a Black Label Society song"Strenght,Determination,Merciless,Forever" it can also be considered a mantra for my running,being strong both mentally and physically,driven to succeed,ruthless in my persuit of forfilling my goals,and wanting it to be long term,I,m not interested in being hot for a few seasons,I want to build and leave a legacy.
Another BLS song title sprung to mind for yesterday"Demise Of Sanity"cos believe me yesterday was"one of those days"!!!!
The fact I couldn,t hit Franklin Field yesterday was one thing,the fact it rained so hard even an easy run was out of the question was another,trust me I needed a run yesterday after my day at work..........jeez louise,it had to have been a full moon!but since a running workout was not on the cards trust me the stereo speakers got one hell of a workout!!!!!
Up semi early this morning,though not as briskly as last Saturday I rose,made java and headed to Haverford for my mile repeats,a slight twist to them this week,only three to begin w/ and the opening two were suggested by GP to be slower than sub 5 pace,leading nicely to the finale which also had a twist.
After yesterdays "cats and dogs" rain and last Saturday,s "soup" it was pleasent to be able to work out in a text book mid September morning,warm sun,no humidity,mild breeze.
Post stretch and mile warm up it was repeat time,I figured 1.17 pace throughout would give me a 5.08 pace,pretty much what I wanted,opening in 1.13 I figured not to worry inevitably my pace would slow over the remaining three laps
1.21 on lap 2,a little slower than I wanted,although I was balls dead accurate for 2.34 pace.
Somehow lap 3 got away from me,1.24 not only much slower than I wanted but also much slower than I,ve been running of late,knowing that the final mile was scheduled to be my"coup de grais"I didn,t go after it on the final lap,1.21 for a 5.19.54 mile,I wasn,t thrilled by that time.
Repeat #2 an opening lap of 1.16 seemed a better start,however once again when forced to run slower than I,m used to or would like my pacing goes heywire,I might,ve been guilty of not focusing 100% but I throw that out there as a maybe and lap 2 was a 1.21,followed by a 1.23 seriously can you remember when I last ran mile splits that slow?
A modicum of respectability w/ a closing lap of 1.14 to close in 5.14.90 but still not really in the 5.08 range I wanted,now for the one that really mattered.
GP,s instructions were fast opening lap64,65,66,moderate 2nd and 3rd laps,fast closing lap,64/65 pace
Boom!!! a 66 second opening lap,I could live w/ that,1.23for lap 2,1.19 for lap 3,3.48 at the bell,rounding the bottom bend I visualized having another runner along side me and this helped me to begin my patented "Hornby Train Set" move,slowly amp up the speed till a point where you turn that dial as far to your right as it will go and "go like the clappers"
I knew b4 reaching the 200m mark I was flying and was not surprized to clock a closing 400m of 64 seconds and a mile of 4.52.45.
Last Saturday I closed in 64 seconds for a 4.50.51. mile off of splits of 72,76,78,64,today I,d managed splits of 66,83,79,64,shave that 83 to a 79 we,re talking 4.49 mile.
As ever I,m at the mercy of GP,s take on the workout,granted not my most consistant of recent weeks but hopefully those opening and closing laps on my final mile will please my coach,I know they pleased me.

No comments: