Monday, September 1, 2008

What,s The Story,Morning Glory

The holiday may,ve changed but the principle was same ,on Memorial Day while the masses were either at the shore,at the mountains or at cook outs I was over at Clark Park taking care of a 5 mile recovery run following a set of mile repeats the previous day,today it was off to Lower Merion high school track to conduct my in and out 400s.
Up and out the door by 9am to hit 30th St for the 9.49am R5 to Ardmore,I didn,t think Franklin Field was an option today and rather than take that chance I made a bee line for LMHS,s track believing that would be,plus this track has become a happy hunting ground for me and my repeats this summer.
There was a sigh of relife as I rounded the corner and saw the track being used by fellow runners meaning it was game on re my 4x400s plus my mile once I got through my stretches,{new month so each stretch is increased by 1,now I,m upto 15}mile warm up and mile of strides.
An advantage of doing the in and out 150m/100m/150m- 400m on this track was the markings are more conventional as oppossed to Franklin Field where they,re all over the gaffe,today I was able to mark off the 50m mark from the starting line,meaning when I reached the 200m start down the back straight I was at 150m,running the turn would give me an accurate 100m mark leaving me the home straight and the first 50m of the top turn for the second 150m.
I wanted to take it out easy early on w/ the hope of maintaining the same pace more or less throughout,I,d been going through on my opener in 22s on my way to opening 400s of 58,58,60,today I went 24,12,24 to clock 60.67,taking a little off that first 150m had afforded me a 400m of 60.67,still way ahead of the 66 seconds GP had first recomended when we revived this workout,in fairness it,s because I,m caining the middle 100m,while my previous in and out 400s could,ve been questioned due to prehaps questionable 150m/100m/150m marks there was no question today they were balls dead accurate and compared to the Franklin Field version of this weekout maybe they,re not that far off.
Almost identical second set of splits,24,12,25-61.77,I probably could and should,ve gotten a second 150m at 24 seconds but w/ a jogger coming clockwise to my anti clockwise on the track in lane 1 I think I allowed my focus to dip for that split second,even so 61.77 was highly respectable.
23,12,24 for repeat #3 for a 59.33 400m,not only were my 150/100/150 splits consistant but obviously that meant my overall 400s were consistant also,one last push would I reap the benefit of consistant pacing going into the finale?
24,13,24 to clock 61.66,last time out I went 60.07,58.56,60.03,62.84 so I feel today was an improvement,as ever the final word will be w/ GP.
I have to be honest,I,m finding it easier and easier to run this mile 8 minutes after my 4 in and out 400ms,and while todays 5.26.69 is marginally slower than the 5.17.90 I clocked on Aug 20th it should be pointed out I had Neil to push me then,today was a solo mission.
1.22 for the opening lap,w/ Neil just off my shoulder on Aug 20th I opened w/ a 1.21,the pace slowed slightly on the second lap 1.30 unlike the 1.21 last time,4.26 at the bell thanks to a 1.34 split,now for the fun and games,since week 1 on these repeats GP has been keen for me to "ctb" the final lap,wk 1 69 secs,wk 2 66 secs,wk 3 66 secs,today............60 seconds,I said after wk 1 when I didn,t go all out on that final lap I would crank it up, wk2 it was at 250m to go,wk 3 300m to go today from the bell.
All in all I felt this was a good workout,as I said b4 untill I hear from GP the jury is out,it,ll be interesting to see how the land lies between us given the 1.1 draw between his Chelski and my beloved Spurs,much good natured banter has been exchanged both b4 and after the game so we,ll see what,s up w/ that when we eventually catch up w/ one another.
Happy Labor Day

No comments: