Thursday, August 26, 2010

Switching The Fundamentals

"I wear an oxygen mask as I ride on the wheels of excess,alcohol is pollution I can watch w/out feeling oppressed
Newspapers used to to be good for scraping the shit from your shoes,now they just write it and sell in truckloads as news"
White Noise-Mike Peters

It's been a while since the "red mist" has engulfed me at work but most of yesterday and nearly all of today saw me fighting an uphill battle w/ it,somehow,don't ask me how I've managed to walk through the eye of the storm but I still have tomorrow to deal w/.
I often talk about how running is a metaphor for life but today I applied the fundamentals of running to get me through work and it paid off.

I won't bore you w/ "on the job war stories"we all have them I guess it's how we deal w/ them,as the day began to get away from me very early on I had to remind myself how I deal w/ my training,sure there are days I'd rather not be out there but I always find a way to throw on my running gear and get out and do what I have to do,I doubt very much I'd be where I am in running if I half stepped my training so using that as a yard stick I applied those principles to work today,get on w/ it,suck it up,deal w/ it,defeat it.own it.....end of
By days end Chris and I had done the work of three people by ourselves and dealt w/ the upheaval of having Hill Rom take over the dock to switch out 50 patient beds and no matter what awaits me tomorrow it'll be off of a clean slate as unlike yesterday nothing was left undelivered from today.

In spite of my butt dragging which it has been all week I not only got out and ran when I got home,I also clocked a 59 min 10 miler,early to mid way through the run I could feel myself pushing the pace,probably a reaction to all the crap from yesterday and today on the job,yesterday I notched a sub 5 mile at the end of my repeats,today I notched a sub 60 10 miler,is this an omen for 4 1 mile repeats at sub 5 on Saturday?.....let's get through work tomorrow and my 10 miler first and then see what Saturday brings

No comments: