Friday, August 20, 2010

Keep Your Grubby Mitts Off!!!!

The 2012 London Olympics are still two years away but the vultures are already circling for the rights to the stadium after the closing ceremony.
I don't care for West Ham United to begin w/,let me be honest about that but frankly if it was my beloved Spurs looking to hijack the Olympic stadium I'd have the same attitude.
As of right now the only major stadium for athletics in London is Crystal Palace,yes it's adequate as was proven last weekend w/ a 2 day Diamond League meet but that stadium was built in the late 60s early 70s so it's hardly state of the art these days,London was meant to host the 05 World Championships but the debacle of building a new stadium at Pickets Lock or having a track around the pitch at the then under construction new Wembley stadium dragged on and on,in the end Wembley said no to a track,Pickets Lock fell through and the IAAF awarded the 05 World C'ships to Helsinki.

Fast forward a few years,London wins the bid to host the 2012 Olympics and a new Olympic stadium gets built in East London,a state of the art stadium that post 2012 could host the World C'ships,Commonwealth Games,European C'ships,Junior Olympics...hell World Masters Athletics World C'ships but already the likes of West Ham are trying to get the stadium for themselves once the Olympics are over..............PISS OFF!!!
You want a new stadium?..........build one,arsenal did,Spurs will,London needs a top flight track stadium,when Manchester held the 02 Commonwealth Games the track was removed and the City Of Manchester stadium became home to Manchester City football club,it's happened once already in England,it should NOT be allowed to happen again,for London to host the Olympics and not have a major track facility to cater to the knock on effect the 2012 Olympics will have on the youth of Great Britain is criminal.

I got off my soap box long enough to run a 63 min 10 miler,cognisant that tomorrow is mile repeats and leaving it all out on Cobbs Creek Parkway today will do me no favours tomorrow as I go in search of my first 4/4 @ sub 5,I got close a fortnight ago,I'd like to nail it tomorrow.

No comments: