Monday, August 2, 2010

One Part Social Distortion,One Part Jay Z

I guess I should explain that,the Jay Z reference comes from moving"On To The Next One"Nationals are over and now it's time to get ready for 5th Avenue Mile,the Social Distortion reference comes from the fact I've been listening to one of my all time favourite west coast punk bands since the day b4 I left for Sacramento"Highway 101" came up under a list of songs about California and it made me download a bunch of Social D cds onto my ipod and reminded me what a total Geezer Mike Ness is,trust me some anti social Social D lyrics are brewing beneath the surface......

Anywho it was off to Temple's track after work today to begin my 5th Avenue Mile preparation,in the past I've had 6 weeks to get ready but w/ Nationals getting earlier and earlier each year I now have 8 weeks and I aim to take full advantage of that.
The tried and tested work out for the past three years has been:150,250jog,150,250jog,4x400m,mile,in it's original form the 400s were broken down into 150,100,150 but I just feel running the 400m and worrying about my 400m time instead of what my splits are at 150,100,150 suits me better,this is what I meant yesterday when I said I'd revised the workout.

Comparing what I did today to last year and to a degree two years ago seemed pointless....although this didn't stop me from checking all 4 of last years workouts and all 6 of 08s just to see what I did,in a lot of respects today was about laying down a marker for the next 7 weeks and hoping to get faster each week,that said I set myself 21 seconds for my 150s,63 seconds for my 400s and 5.20 for my mile.
21.82.-23.98.
A good start,I was a little disappointed w/ the second 150 but w/ several components in this repeat you're almost always thinking ahead and making sure there's fuel in the tank.
63.91.-63.42.-65.02.-65.22.
Obviously over the coming weeks this is going to be the crux of the workout and it may take a week or two to get used to 400s,it's not like I have any recent 600s to draw upon so getting back into speed repeats may require some patience but I thought it was a good start,if I can hold onto those 63s and try and get them all at 63 that'll be a start and then look to lower them.
"Decathletes Mile" the trick to this mile was always how well I could run the final lap,I felt a 5.20 mile at 1.20 per lap was respectable,as the weeks go by I'll look to lower that but interesting footnote in 08 my 5th week saw me clock a 5.15.9 mile b4 a 5.09.5. mile in the 6th and final week....
1.20,1.23,1.23,69-5.15.0.
I was delighted w/ the mile,my 400s might be slower than 08 but clearly the summer of 45-55-60 mile weeks is paying off.

All in all a good beginning to the proceedings,there is room for improvement but over the next 7 weeks I'll know what to expect,this evening was in some respects about getting an idea of where I'm at w/ this workout and now that I know I look to improve upon it.

No comments: