Monday, August 23, 2010

Rainy Days And Mondays Not Getting Me Down

In running as is in life you have to be able to be flexible,it's all well and good having a plan and or a schedule but unless you're willing to be flexible w/ it you'll end up being frustrated.
The plan was repeats this afternoon....however by 3.15pm the heavens opened and frankly standing around in between repeats didn't seem like much fun.
I did try to wait out the rain but it looked and felt like it was in for the afternoon and evening,oh well in running as is in life....plan b
Since a repeat session on the track was out I opted to come home and hit Cobbs Creek Parkway for a 10 miler,running in the rain is not an issue for me,in fact it's almost 38 years since my baptism of fire when my running career effectively began as my rather irate father chased me and my cousin Liam home in the pouring rain one night after we'd lost track of time at a b'day party.

I've told that story countless times,it was the unofficial beginning to my running career and a source of amusement between Kevin and I for several years until his passing in 84,were he still alive I think we'd still be laughing about it to this day,at least these days when it's raining and I'm out running I don't have a towel flicking,shoe swinging maniac running behind me telling me if I stop either his shoe or the towel is going in my arse!!!

The rain wasn't too bad,I've often likened running in the rain to standing under the shower,you can only get so wet and there comes a saturation point where you just can't get any wetter,frankly getting out there this evening and taking care of business in the rain was country mile better than blowing off the run and keeps my preferred Monday-Saturday rotation in tact,fingers crossed the rain will have buggered off by tomorrow so I can try my repeats again,but if showers are still in the forecast it's another 10 miler and we'll try the repeats Wednesday.

No comments: