Monday, February 8, 2010

Softly Softly Crunchy Crunchy

In a 34 year and still counting career there have been some memorable races,and I hope still more to come,but sometimes there's nothing more enjoyable that just lacing them up and heading out the door for a run,no medals,no titles,no records,just the pure joy of running,today was one of those days.
Why I don't know,I didn't feel particularly rammy after two days off,nor did I feel an impending sense of "what if I can't run when it snows again tomorrow/Wednesday" it was just one of those days,in spite of the 28.4 inches of snow Friday/Saturday I was able to get out on Cobbs Creek Parkway and run my out and back 6 miler.

Safety was the watch word today,conditions were a little slick under foot in places so I had to have my wits about me for the whole run,in spite of the glorious sunshine I couldn't risk my shades even though the glare off of the sun and the snow and ice was at times blinding I needed to have clear vision of the path ahead of me.
In fairness my pace wasn't overly brisk,the conditions were partly responsible but also the fact I'm racing Thursday meant a need to down shift a gear or two,although that said I still got home 50 mins after I left 4.35pm-5.25pm which is the time frame for all my 6 milers so maybe it just felt I was running slower.

Obviously the 600 pound gorilla in the room is the next bout of snow we're expecting,long term how will it effect the rest of the week?short term will it put a industrial size spanner in the works for Thursday and going to The Armory?I hope not on both counts.
Note to self,pack rosary beads in w/ my flats tomorrow to hit a hopefully Jobsworth free Franklin Field for a tempo run in the hope of getting into the 36-38 second per 200m zone b4 Thursday's 2 miler.

No comments: