Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We Wait,And We Wonder

It just figures,two days b4 a pivotal race on my schedule and I can't be 100% sure I'll be able to travel to New York to run it because of the threat of another major snow storm heading our way tonite heading into tomorrow.
Like most things out of my control I can't worry about it,all the praying in the world isn't going to stop the snow,all I can hope is it isn't as bad as they're predicting and that the drive up I95 Thursday isn't in jeopardy.
Like yesterday the plan was to run,I knew I could access the track at Franklin Field and unlike most tracks in the area it wouldn't be under the two foot of snow that fell Saturday,Franklin Field always gets ploughed and made usable,the beauty of working out at an Ivy League school I guess!!

The plan was a mile to warm up,a 2 mile run and then a mile run to cool down,basically the same distance I cover when I do my 6x600m repeats,the difference being I wouldn't be going flat out two days b4 a race.
The plan for my 2 mile ran was to get into a rhythm of 36-38 second pace per 200m so on laps 1,3,5 and 7 I would try to clock 37-37-1.14 pace then jog laps 2,4,6,and 8.
Conditions were grey and overcast but mild enough to ditch the ski hat and gloves,I was also fortunate enough to to be at Franklin Field by 4.30pm and ready to roll by 4.40pm.
37-34-1.11,I was "out of the traps"quickly and had to remind myself to pace myself,it's important to get used to 1.12-1.14 pace per 400m for Thursday,and again at the Mac C'ships on March 6th and maybe Indoor Nationals at 3,000m on March 26th.
40-33-1.13.40 second 200s won't cut it on Thursday,that's 5.20 mile pace,great for a 5,000m but let's get the 3k down pat first yeah?
40-34-1.14.Having started out well I was creeping up oh so slightly per opening 200m,I know a race is a horse of a different colour compared to running against the clock by your lonesome not to mention on an outdoor 400m track compared to an indoor 200m banked track,but.
41-30-1.11.I'll take a 30 second closing 200m on Thursday!!
Combined my mile split was 4.49. 9.30 pace,a 9.10 3,000m,all good....in theory,it's putting it into practice isn't it!

Remembering the old Roy Keane adage"failure to prepare,prepare for failure"I've done all I can the past two days to be ready for Thursday,chances are the snow will 86 any hopes of running tomorrow,all I can hope is it isn't so bad that a trip up to The Armory is off the table on Thursday,at worst my hopes of the club record for the 2 mile will have to wait another year,I still have a 3,000m also at The Armory on tap on March 6th which will determin if it's a 3,000m/mile/800m treble in Boston or 3,000m/mile double,3,000m/800m double or the more traditional mile/800m double.......moving up in distance hasn't hurt Bernard Lagat any has it?and while I'm no Bernard Lagat he's shown what a miler can do w/ some strength training added to their speed,what's the point having heroes if you can't emulate them I say.

No comments: