Saturday, February 20, 2010

Silver Lining

8 miler #4 is in the books as I notched my 5th consecutive 30 mile week.
Given my laundry list of"to do" things today it was prudent to get a jump start on my run,and w/ that I was out the door by 10.30am.
There's something satisfying about having the run taken care of,it's not hanging over you all day and you can go about the business of the day w/out thinking"I've gotta get my run in"
Conditions were great,I ditched my ski hat and gloves again and was able to don my shades for once,sometimes it's the little things that make a run that bit more special.here we are in late Feb,Spring is officially three weeks away but take away the snow and ice and today had a spring like feel to it.
Once again I got to run on tired legs and while my speed or lack thereof is nothing to write home about, being able to do what I have to do w/out digging deep helps,I guess my years of marathon training are helping there,along those lines I had a wry smile to myself when some kid asked if I was training for a marathon as I ran by him along Cobbs Creek Parkway,the 15 lap 3000m might feel like a marathon in five weeks time!!!

One drawback of having to run 5 consecutive 8 milers is I'll probably have to burn my rest day early on in the week next week,I really don't want to go into Thursday's 1,500m on the back of 8 days in a row so Monday may well be a rest day,but given there's talk of rain in the forecast it may have been decided for me,however that's Monday and next week,there's still tomorrow's 8 miler to take care of.
A final thought,in Vancouver yesterday Bode Miller won his second medal of the Winter Olympics,not bad for a guy who didn't medal 4 years ago in Torino and admitted to skiing drunk.
While I've never ran drunk{but a tad hungover sometimes back in the day},shit once b4 a 10 mile road race I finished off a beer from the nite b4 while getting ready to leave, I do know something about not working to the fullest of your ability and what I take away from Bode Miller's Vancouver performances is the realization that if you commit fully to your chosen sport you can and will reap the rewards............did I mention Indoor Nationals is now under 5 weeks away?

No comments: