Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh Balls........Snowballs!!

Well I'm not going to The Armory tonite,"the best laid plans of mice and men"as they say.
Between the snow{all 15.8 inches of it.....on top of the 28.4 inches we got Friday}my ride to and from The Armory falling through and not having the funds to take the bus or train upto Manhattan means my plans to lower the club record of 10.05.8.for 2 miles will have wait untill early January.
On a slightly more frustrating note,my inability to race tonite means the whole do I don't I run the 3,000m at Indoor Nationals question goes unanswered for now.
I still have the option of the Mac C'ships on March 6th to determine that,at worst I'll have to fork over an extra $15 in late entry fee to add the 3k,if it all goes tits up at Mac then I'll have saved myself $50 by only entering the mile and 800m by March 1st.

The postponement of my foray into the 3,000m could be to my advantage,I've already tweaked my schedule next week to amp things up b4 returning to the tried and tested speed/strength programme for the following two weeks.
I had a wry smile to myself today recalling one of Eamonn Coghlan's finest moments on the indoor circuit back in 83.
"The Chairman" had set his sights on being the first man to go sub 3.50 for the indoor mile at The Meadowlands in New Jersey that Febuary only for a blizzard to postpone the meet by a day,when he returned Eamonn made history by running 3.49.78. and later went on to win the inaugural World Championships 5,000m in Helsinki,food for thought indeed!!

I skipped today,following Friday's snow I waited two days b4 hitting Cobbs Creek Parkway so I'm hoping tomorrow will be more "user friendly" as if I can go 6,6,8 on Fri,Sat,Sun I can still notch another 30 mile week,to quote Coldplay"Everything's Not Lost".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about the NJ meet Feb. 21? 3,000 attempt there instead? decent 200-meter track; flat though

kevin f forde said...

Thought about that,but like you say flat track,would prefer the 3,000m on a banked track like The Armory to replicate Reggie Lewis in Boston