Friday, February 12, 2010

Arse,Plate,Served

"I ain't superstitious,but a black cat crossed my path,I said I ain't superstitious but a black cat crossed my path,bad luck hasn't got me so far,but it ain't finished w/ me yet"
"I Ain't Superstitious"-Rod Stewart.

It's been a while since I've suffered"one of those days" at work,today was one such day,given two snow days I knew the"cheque was in the mail"in terms of us getting nailed....I just didn't expect it to be delivered today.
From the time I sat on the left hand side of the subway going into work this morning I knew I'd potentially set myself up for a fall,I'd say I'm more a creature of habit than superstitious so I prefer to sit on the right hand side of the subway car,as soon as I sat on the left hand side after switching from the local to the express I thought"uh oh"and sure as shit we got mullered on the dock today.
Despite the hammering we took today,myself,Chris and John took it on the chin w/ good grace and a positive attitude and kept smiling and laughing.....ok so there was the brief moment when the black hearted celtic pagan in me surfaced for a cameo appearance,cliff notes version: one of the linen guys got wreckless rolling linen carts out to the dock,the first one that missed me by inches earned him an icey glare,seconds later he did it again,I wasn't as forgiving second time around and made my feelings known"that's twice,the next one that just misses me is going up your arse"call it an Irish cease and desist order I wasn't side stepping full linen carts for the rest of the day!!!!!

After a rough day like today all I could think about was my run,bad enough I missed out on my race yesterday but hell no I wasn't missing out on a 30 mile week,even if like last week I had to do it in 5 not 6 days.
Rude awakening #1 I got up to Cobbs Creek Parkway and found a mound of snow ploughed onto the path which forced me to hop over the guard rail for 100m b4 a traffic light allowed me back onto the path.
Rude awakening #2 b4 the turn off of CCP the path disappeared beneath a few feet of snow,back out into the road again,no worries the park and Cobbs Creek Parkway were just ahead.....
Rude awakening #3,where as on Monday after a two day breather due to the snow the paths and sidewalks were clear today they were still under the 15.8 inches of snow that fell Wednesday,fuckin ada I know tonite is the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics but this was meant to be a run not a cross country ski!!!!
I was at times up to my knees in snow,eventually when a chance presented it's self I leapt out over the guard rail again and along side the road,not only was I rethinking the route home but the rest of the weekend and next week,final insult to injury just b4 my turnaround a whole tree was down over the snow covered path,I'd passed branches of trees but now a whole tree...what the fuck!!

The route home took a few detours,at times I'll be honest I didn't really know where I was going but my inner GPS got me back onto Cobbs Creek Parkway and I made it home in one piece....minus my first fall in winter in a few years.
I'm not sure if I tripped on the side walk,hit a patch of snow or ice or just misplaced my footing but b4 I knew it I went arse over tit on 58th St.
Thankfully only my pride was hurt the snow and ice provided a soft landing,and much like my spectacular face plant into the Atlantic Ocean in Ireland in 08 no witnesses,always a plus!!

So a rough ending to a rough week but I sit here one eye on my pc,the other on the tv as the Parade Of Nations at the Winter Olympics opening ceremony gets under way,we're up to the C's,I'm curious if Ireland sent a delegation,we're not known for our Winter Olympic prowess.
I will confess I'm more of Summer Olympic fan but this year I'll try to cop as much of the action from Vancouver as I can...................
JAYSUS!!!!!!!!!Paddies at the Winter Olympics!!!6 athletes,our flag bearer is in the Bobsled I'll have to google who our other 5 athletes are and what event they're in.

No comments: