Sunday, February 14, 2010

Green Green Grass Of Home

"Oh I know I'm unloveable you don't have to tell me,I don't have much in my life but take it it's yours.
I know I'm unloveable you don't have to tell me,message received loud and clear,I don't have much in my life but take it it's yours
I wear black on the outside cause black is how I feel on the inside,and if I seem a little strange well that's because I am.
But I know that you would like me if only you could see me if only you could meet me"
"Unloveable" The Smiths

Ok let's get the bleedin' heart section of the entry out of the way,another Valentine's Day has come and gone w/ not so much as blip on my radar,there's an old adage"lucky in cards,unlucky in love"....well I don't play cards so I'm not sure why my mail box is bereft of cards from well wishers or secret admirers it just is,as each year goes by my belief in "soul mates" gets more and more diminished,sure I've done alright for myself all by my lonesome for all these years but it's those special moments,the world records,pr's,Club Records, Millrose Games medals,National Championships Golds,5th Avenue Mile victories etc that you celebrate alone that make you wish there was someone to share them w/,so rather than rag on Valentine's Day I wish those of you lucky enough to have that special someone in your lives an enjoyable day.

For the 4th week in a row I logged another 30 mile week,for the second week in a row it was 30 miles in 5 days.
Today was not just about running an 8 miler to log another 30 mile week it was also about sussing out a course for the upcoming week,for numerous reasons I'm not running the NJ C'ships at Tom's River next Sunday and due to a fiscal oversight this pay period not only do I not have the money for a weekly transpass but also I'm bare bones on tokens, the upshot of which is I can't get off the el,hit Franklin Field for repeats and get back on the el home......SO rather than piss and moan I figured why not have a week of long runs to get extra milage in,I'm just under 6 weeks out from Boston and Indoor Nationals but also 3 weeks out from the Mac C'ships so why not take advantage of a built in opportunity to log a 40-48 mile week,providing I get 5 or 6 8 mile runs in,hence the need to suss out a new 8 mile course as the old tried and tested course is still and for the forseeable future under a mound of snow.

Yet again I had to brake from tradition and wear my watch on this run to gauge how far/how long I'd be out there going back and forth on Cobbs Creek Parkway between Market St and Baltimore Ave.
Turns out it's 2 complete back and forths from my front door,along Cedar Ave,right on Cobbs Creek Parkway,down to Market St,back along CCP to 61st St,right on 61st St down to Baltimore Ave and back again.
The whole run took 1.11.20. but factor in stops at red lights and extra caution where the snow and ice still exist I kept running till I got back home rather than stop at 65 mins which is give or take my 8 mile mark.
So 2 complete back and forths it is,Mon,Tue,Wed,Fri,Sat,Sun,Thur is a rest day more by necessity than design........it's pay day and I need to go food shopping..........it's not like there's any stinkin Valentine's Day candy to eat!!!

As to the homage to Tom Jones in the title,I sandwiched my 8 miler in between FA Cup soccer this morning,first up Spurs away to Bolton followed by Crystal Palace at home to Aston Villa.
Palace are one of the three South East London soccer clubs in the Premiership/Football League back home,and while I'll be a Spurs fan till my dying day I'll always root for my roots Palace,Millwall and Charlton.

No comments: