Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Flame

Multitasking 101,eat my dinner,write my blog and watch the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics.
As planned I was up by 8am for my power breakfast of Coffee,OJ and a Banana while watching Spurs verses Everton,2.1 to Spurs as we continue our push for 4th place and a place in next seasons Champions League.
Buoyed by our win I attacked my 9 miler w/ gusto,95% of the course was now snow and ice free which always makes life much easier,but again like yesterday morning there was sunshine and snowflakes during the run,in two weeks time the clocks go forward and winter will be close to over,hallefrickinujah!!!
36 miles for the week in five days,I'd really like to get back to six days a week this week and I'd also like to get back to the track for repeats,I haven't done an actual repeat since Feb 4th so tomorrow's 5x1000m ought to be interesting.

W/ a race on tap Saturday my week has been set,I just have to hope the weather doesn't throw a spanner in the works.
So as the Winter Olympics come to their conclusion today I reflect on 17 days of competition, after a glitch or two in the opening few days Canada can hold it's head up high for not only hosting a wonderful Olympics but for also ending their drought of never winning an Olympic Gold on home soil and how.....14 Golds but I think the one that means the most to them was today's Hockey gold,you couldn't have scripted that better,the final event,Canada's national game and an overtime victory verses their neighbours America.

We'll all have our favourite memories,for me:Lindsey Vonn for refusing to allow her injury to derail her Olympic dream,Bode Miller for not only turning things around but proving that when you commit 100% to your chosen sport great things happen,my main man Apolo Ohno 8 Winter Olympic medals the most ever by an American Winter Olympian.
For her grace under pressure bronze in women's figure skating Joannie Rochette,to not only have the courage to compete after her mother died suddenly 3 days b4 she was due to skate but to have to grieve in front of the watching world and be able to put that to one side takes the heart of a champion

A final foot note on my run which ties in w/ the events of Vancouver,at the end of my long runs be they 6,8 or 9 miles I like to crank up the pace a notch as if to simulate the closing laps of a 1,500m or 3,000m on the track,it's hard to do that when conditions under foot are slick,today I was really able to kick it up a notch once I reached the home straight of Cedar Ave and for once not have to worry about doing my best Apolo Ohno impression!!

No comments: