Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Eight Is Enough Part Two

As is my won't eight races is my limit in my build up to Nationals,in my rookie year in masters track in 06 I made the rookie error of over racing in the lead up to Charlotte,a mistake I learnt from in 07 in Orono and again in 08 in Spokane,I don't doubt had my 09 season not've gotten wrecked by my achilles injury I would've only raced 8 times leading upto Worlds last summer in Lahti.
So last nite the stage was set for my eighth outdoor race of the season and my last race b4 Nationals,exactly one month b4 Nationals,how it became an 800m can best be explained thus......

I never said I was done w/ the 800m,when the decision in Febuary was made to go after the club records for 3,000m and 2 miles I kind of knew there was every chance I'd go after the 5,000m club record come outdoor season,others made the assumption I was done w/ the 800m not me,I always said this was the year to experiment outside of my "comfort zone" of the 1,500m and 800m but in upping my mileage to run 5,000m I found a new strength level I hadn't felt b4 in my repeats and frankly when I dropped 5x1,000m in 3.06.9.3.03.7.3.04.9.3.06.6.3.00.0. on May 29th I began to think that a 2.02. 800m was well w/in my grasp so I switched up my race plans to include an 800m.

W/ the deadline for entries for Nationals this Friday the Tuesday Ichan meet was my last chance to post a seed time for Sacramento,since my silver in Spokane in 08 I'd only ran one 800m outdoors,a meaningless Labor Day meet last year as I began getting my wheels back under me after my injury,I hardly felt a 1.59 or 2.10 served as a seed time even though I'm allowed a two year window and I wasn't using an indoor time either,my only indoor 800m came at the end of Indoor Nationals having ran a 3,000m and mile the two days b4.

I lined up in a 12 man field hoping to run 61/61-2.02. which quickly went out the window as I was pulled to a 59 second 400m split in 7th place.
I was a tad peeved that the 8th place runner cut in in front of me going into the first turn after the bell,I felt I was forced to lose momentum but quickly recovered.
1.30 at 600m I looked up at the chase pack ahead of me and saw one runner going backwards,now I had someone to catch coming off the final turn and did so w/ 50 meters to go,7th in 2.03.

I'll have to wait till either Thursday or Friday for NYRRC to print the results,just in time for the 5pm deadline on Friday but I'll either have a high 2.03 or low 2.04 seed time for Nationals,for those of you foolish enough to write me off over 800m you may want to re think that.

No comments: