Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Careful What You Ask For

W/ indoor season now behind me it,s time to focus on outdoors,last year w/in a week of Indoor Nationals I was back on the track for a 4x400m relay,this year I,m planning on a mile this Friday at Monmouth so tonite it was time for a classic Peter Coe Seb Coe repeat,6x300m w/ deminished recoveries{ever get the feeling Dibble loves giving me deminished recoveries???}
The plan was 48 seconds per 300m,begin w/ 65 seconds but drop down to 40 for the final one,we did this repeat once last year in mid Feb,not quite a month into my return to training,I said at the time I,d like to revisit the workout when I was fully fit....this evening would be that time!
The key to the workout was control,"Dib"even went as far to email me that reminder this morning,48 seconds a big drop from the 56 seconds I was aiming for on Feb 19th last year when I went:57.22,55.29,57.73,59.71,60.94,61.22. tonite I went:40.88,42.85,41.55,42.56,43.38,43.11. a dramatic improvement if I say so myself!
I didn,t mean to start off at 40.88. it might,ve been faster than I was aiming for but it was controled,I didn,t feel I went all"kitchen sink"on it,just like Thursdays opening 150m in 21.38 seconds when I was aiming for 25 seconds,even when I,m meant to run controled I still seem to run fast.
As my subsequent repeats show I didn,t suffer from the fast start nor demished recoveries and kept my splits consistant,all in all a good workout.
I,m sure tonite was about getting ready for a fast mile Friday and not pay back for Luka Modric's wicked goal vs Chelski on Saturday,if it was it didn,t work,I think the 4x400 repeats w/ deminished recoveries have gotten me ready for hard repeats......NEXT!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This means your must've been coming through the 200 in 27 and 28seconds?! That's amazing work. How in the world are you able to do that with diminished recovery time?

Delvin

Anonymous said...

This means you must've been coming through the 200 in 27 and 28 seconds?! That's amazing work. How in the world are you able to do that with diminished recovery time?

Delvin

kevin f forde said...

I think it comes from doing repeats w/ deminished recoveries on a regular basis,you get used to it,No Pain,No Gain,as I,m also fond of saying"Pain is temporary,Glory lasts forever!!"
Nice job in Landover,sorry we didn,t get to hang afterwards,are you doing the 800m at the Phila Distance Classic on April 11th?

dinklesnaps said...

I'll have to get into the kind of shape you're in one day. At this point, I can't imagine doing that sort of workout with such short recovery.

I would love to run at the 4/11 meet, but I do not think so becasue my daughter has a soccer tourney in DE.

kevin f forde said...

The trick to repeats w/ deminished recovery is getting used to it,the first time I did 4x4 w/ 90,75,60 recovery it killed me,now some 5 times in 6 weeks I,m used to it.
You,ve got to spend time in the "death zone" to come out on the other side,I can,t just dial up 2.01/2.02 800s but all the hard work,trust me there's a pay off.
Sorry you won,t be at the 4/11 meet,hope to see you soon.
How's the hamstring?

dinklesnaps said...

Kevin,

You're right. You have to get used to it. As a former wannabe sprinter, I was never trained for short recoveries. I'm getting better at them, though. In fact, tomorrow I have on tap a Sit 'n Kick Rep workout: 5x (400m @ 65, rest only :45, then 150m @ 20) jog 1200m btw sets. Or I might do Pick-up Rep workout: 8x 400m. Do #s 1,3,4,6,7 @ 71 w/3:00-Int and do #s 2,5,8 @ 64. It will depend on the weather forecast and the time of day. I would like to move towards the 2:00 barrier. While I was happy with the 2:04 from Ursinus and disappointed with the 2:05 from MD, it's time to move on. The hamstring is fine; thanks for asking. If plans change, I will be at the 4/11 meet.

kevin f forde said...

How,d the workout go?
2 years ago I couldn,t get off the 2.02 mark for love nor money,my coach felt the key to unlock that door was 2x1,000m repeats,I spent the summer doing that repeat once a week and lo and behold at Outdoor Nationals I ran a 1.59 so that,s something to keep in mind.
The track in Md was slow,I ran 2.01 at The Armory but only 2.02 there so don,t put too much stock in being a second slower than Ursinus.
Glad to hear the hammy is better.

dinklesnaps said...

The workout went pretty well, although my legs were aching a bit. After a mile warm-up, I did 62/22; 64/21; 63/21; 64/20; and 60/20.

The last time I did a 1000s workout must have been about a month or so ago. I think I did 2x1000 followed by a couple of 500s. It was tough!

kevin f forde said...

Nice consistancy on the workout,"Dibble"always looks for that in my workouts.
If you read my blog from yesterday you'll see a lack of that but I felt the conditions more than anything were responsible,still awaiting "official"word from "Dib"if coach is happy,everyone's happy,if coach ain,t happy......
1,000s are tough no doubt but going sub 2 for 800m SOOOOOOOO WORTH IT!!!