Saturday, March 14, 2009

High Noon At The Top Cat Bowl

It,s been a while since I last compleated a Mon-Sat rotation and were it not for the fact I,m about to high tail it upto Manhatten to see The Saw Doctors tomorrow would be that rarest of rare"fuck off days"when I don,t have to leave the house for anything,I guess I,ve still got a week or two b4 I can enjoy one of them.
I jogged over to the "Top Cat Bowl" just b4 12pm,conditions were sunny and warm,prehaps post Indoor Nationals will see me break out the shortsleeve dri fit shirts but for now there,s no taking chances,I,ve worked too hard to stay healthy for next weekend to get wreckless now down the home stretch.
Mile warm up compleat it was time to roll the dice and see what I could produce in my final hard workout b4 Landover next Sat and Sun,based on this weeks 400s and 1,000s I was confident of a seasons first sub 5 mile today........
#1,72,79,79,70-5.00.79.Yowzer!,75 second splits tend to be my bench mark,it,s a tad early in my season to be going 4x75 but this was impressive,was I disappointed I didn,t go sub 5 on #1?a little but I had three more bites at the cherry.
#2,76,82,82,74-5.14.96.Agh!a nice start but those two 82 second laps threw the repeat off,I know the need to eradicate splits of 80 plus from the equation in order to go sub 5.
#3,80,86,85,85-5.36.48.BOLLOCKS!When I went through 800m in 2.46 there was a brief moment of"'should I step off the track now?"mercifully I had the gumption to keep going albeit at a pace detrimental to what I was looking for,in the back of my mind I knew Ronnie,Eamonn and Marcus had bad mile repeats and kept going...........I also knew Jumbo was all over them for it,telling Dib I,d ran back to back 5.14-5.36 splits not a comforting thought!
#4,75,80,79,65-4.59.26.Fuckin A!!!!,my mantra on all final repeats irrigardless of distance is go into that first turn w/ 100% conviction and set the tone from the getgo,I did just that w/ a 75.
I antisipated an 80 second 2nd lap which I got spot on,now to dig down deep.
3.54.at the bell a 79 second lap,it was there for the taking.........and I wanted to take it!!coming off the bottom bend and down the back straight I could feel myself forcing every last ounce out of my body,I visualized next Saturdays mile vs John Hinton and Pete McGill w/ 300m to go.
Off the final turn I was pouring it on in spades and crossed the line in 4.59.26. thanks to a 65 second closing lap..................Begorah indeed!!!
I said Thursday a sub 5 was on today,but for 7 one hundredths of a second I could,ve had two,but I,ll make do w/ one,lest we gloss over the glearingly obvious,this is mid March and I,m notching sub 5s now,we haven,t gotten into the meat and spuds of the season yet.
I,m done for the week,Dib and I can discuss what,s on tap for the lead upto Indoor Nationals tomorrow,for now I,m Manhatten bound to have a jig and share the craic w/ my country men and women in Times Square w/ The Saw Doctors.............
Slainte

No comments: