Friday, March 27, 2009

Three Isn,t A Crowd

W/ the disappointment of missing this particular repeat yesterday and not going to Monmouth now behind me I was determined to "have at it"this evening w/ my first ever 3x1,000m repeat w/ eight minutes recovery.
''Dib" prefaced the workout by saying "don,t go out too hard....but knowing you you will"my mindset was splits of 70,70,30.
#1,68,74,31-2.53.78.The key was taking the first lap easy and finding a comfortable groove,the opening 68 second split was very comfortable and set me up nicely.
#2,69,72,31-2.52.65. now that,s consistant!when I was doing 2x1,000m w/ 10 minute recovery the plan was to try and get the second 1,000m faster than the first,the question was what was left in the tank for a third 1,000m?
#3,70,72,32-2.54.56.To only be a second off of my opener was pleasing but to have conducted my first ever 3x1,000m and to be this consistant was the icing on the cake.
Following a 6 minute recovery I had 2x150m w/ a 250 jog to complete the workout,I had to eyeball where I thought the 50m mark on the top bend was,it,s not like the cinder track is marked,anyways I clocked 17.86-18.85.to complete a very good workout.

6 comments:

Rob said...

Kevin,

Great workout. For your 8min recovery where you walking, or jogging, or both?

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Walking,but the more I do this particular repeat the more I,ll get used to it so it'll become a jog and then get cut down to 7 mins,I believe whatever the distance your repeat it's only as good as the recovery,we could all be world beaters w/ extended recoveies.

Rob said...

Kevin,

Thanks. I was curious. On my own workouts I have tried to keep thee recoveries as jogs but have noticed that it gets much harder to maintain the times I am shooting for and have always wondered if it is better to maintain the times with walking and if needed more recovery to to keep the millage up so to speak and keep jogging. So, when I read about your workout I was curious what you do. Again, thank you for sharing. BTW on a seperate but unrelated topic congratulations on your performance at Indoor Nationals in both the mile and 8.

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Rob,
for me personally,I try to maximize my recovery,when"Dibble"says you,ve got whatever to recovery I take all of it to begin w/,as a few weeks go by and I get used to the workout I cut the workout down,''Dib"will more often than not give me a window,yesterday was 7 to 8 mins,I took 8,eventually it'll become 7.
Thanks for the props on Indoor Nationals,while I hoped to do better I can't complain w/ 2 bronzes over the mile and 800m.

dinklesnaps said...

Lo and behold! This morning at 6 am, I tried my luck at a 1000s workout. 5x1000, but at a much slower pace than yours and with a 400-meter jog between repeats. I started at 3:45 and back my way down to about 3:30. I felt more tired than I should have.

kevin f forde said...

EEK! Any repeat at 6am is enough to contend w/ much less 5x1,000m!!!