Sunday, March 29, 2009

Heavy Going At The 12pm At Kempton Park

Well the good news is I got my mile repeats in and notched a 33 mile week,the really good news was today was my scheduled running gear laundry day....just as well!
I can only imagine that it rained very hard overnight as the track was heavier than it's been in a while when I arrived at 12pm,as is it's won't the top turn retained a fair amount of surface water leaving me two choices....well three but the third one was no mile repeats and frankly THAT wasn't happening!!!!
The two more viable options were run in the middle of the track to keep a straight line and not zig zag across the track .....or say feck it and plough through the puddles and deal w/ the mud slashes later,in running as is in life I went w/ plan b.
#1,69,79,79,72-4.59.63.It would seem I was still in 1,000m mode on that opening lap!!
Obviously a sub 5 is always welcome but the question was how well could I hold up on a rain sodden cinder track?
#2,75,78,77,74-5.04.82.Not too shabby,I wanted to open in 75 and hold on,as each lap went by and I went through the "water hazzards"on the top turn I felt a new found respect for 3,000m steplechase runners as they negotiate the water jump for 7 laps!!!
#3,76,80,82,77-5.15.28.If I had hoped today was my first set of mile repeats w/out an 80 plus than it wasn't to be,granted the opening lap of #1 may,ve contributed to that but clearly the rain soaked track wasn't helping any either.
#4,74,80,80,74-5.08.59.I don,t think I,ve been as mentally tough on any mile repeat this year as I was on this one,I knew from the get go I had to dig deep mentally as well as physically and opening in 74 was just what I wanted.
Sure I'm disappointed to open in 4.59.63. and then get slower but the conditions were as much to do w/ that,as I write this my flats sit atop the radiator in my room in the hope they'll dry off in time for Tuesdays next repeat!!!
Considering what the weather people were predicting for today I should be happy I was able to get a repeat in,not so much a case of looking at the glass half empty,more a case of looking at the racing flat half full!!

No comments: