Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday Not As Good As Last Friday,But None The Less A Good Friday

"People have written you off many times but you are a great survivor
And though you have suffered some terrible crimes,I know it's just made you stronger
You're standing on your own two feet,got a morbid past but you've got it beat
Got the key for living sitting in your hand,now use it while you can
You've got to hold on to how you feel today,this is the last train from the wasteland"
Last Train From The Wasteland Stiff Little Fingers

Good Friday and Easter stir up some personal emotions for yours truly,over the next few days I'll shed some light on them.
Obviously from a religious stand point, a lifetimes worth of being raised Irish catholic means the significance of today is not lost on me,ditto for Easter Sunday,but away from the obvious today and Sunday,and Monday all have a huge meaning for me.
In 1998 the Peace Treaty was signed in Northern Ireland that brought about an end to years of conflict and bloodshed,not just in the North but also to mainland Britain
Granted I didn't grow up on the troubled streets of Belfast,Armagh,Londonderry etc but I might as well have as "The Troubles" were never far away,you couldn't watch the news or pick up a newspaper w/out having the situation rammed down your throat,it was something I didn't miss when I moved here in 87 a good 11 years b4 the historic Good Friday Peace Treaty brought an end to it all,ergo the use of Belfast's own Still Little Fingers tribute to that historic day,long may it continue.

Good Friday or not I still had to work,people don't stop being sick just because it's holiday of sorts so I was up w/ the Dawn Patrol this morning and into work bright eyed and bushy tailed at 6.25am............or as bright eyed and bushy tailed as one can be at such an ungodly hour!
Once worked slowed down to a near stand still by lunch my boss told Chris and I we could take off....and still get paid for our regular time....and w/ that yours truly was off like the proverbial prom dress by 1.20pm.!!!
Given tomorrow is taken up w/ my race and Sunday rightfully most places of business should be closed I knew to sandwich the run in between trips to the Grocery store man cannot live by Gatorade and Banana's alone so some plundering of the food stores was required.

As for my run an easy 6 miler to bring my weekly mileage to 30 miles but more importantly at an almost pedestrian pace,I left here at 3pm and it was 3.53pm when I returned,that's more akin to my 8 milers so clearly I had gotten the pace right today in the belief that when the gun goes off at 5pm I'm more than ready to deliver the goods.
Tonite it's an easy nite, a pre race Pasta dinner is coming up, a little tv,some catching up w/ my peeps on Facebook and zzzs so I can wake up ready tomorrow to hopefully take another club record and add it to my list,given my race isn't till 5pm I dare say there'll be some musings on the blog prior to my departure tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: