Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back To The House Of Pain

As I stated yesterday this was my first 6x600m repeat since Feb 2nd,in fairness I haven't been a complete stranger to repeats,although having said that in the almost 5 weeks since Indoor Nationals I've been on the track three times...but two of those were my 5,000m and 10,000m races,then again this was my third visit to Franklin Field since last Thursday....but my first on the track!!!

In this day and age of corporate sponsorship I'm happy to announce this evenings repeats were brought to you by The Simpsons.......because I forgot to put my stopwatch in my bag last nite.....
DOH!!!!,thankfully the boffins at Apple put a stop watch on my ipod so everything was not lost,note to self next time I do a repeat workout make sure my watch is packed the nite b4!!!
I arrived at sunny Franklin Field around 5pm,it felt good to be back here,I can't get too comfortable it'll be off limits again soon for Penn Graduation but after that Franklin Field will be home sweet home for my remaining repeats b4 Nationals.

Warm up completed it was have at it time,how would my speed fair after a month of mileage?
#1,600m 1.47.6.Unfortunately I was unable to read my stopwatch on my ipod at 400m so not only no 400m split,but no way of knowing my pace,I would have to run on feel,that said 1.47.6. felt pretty good to open.
#2,600m 1.48.8.So far,so good even w/ no way of knowing what I was coming through the 400m in and my 12 week layoff of trips to the "Death Zone"
#3,600m 1.49.6. Uh oh,getting dangerously close to the 1.50 mark,no proper stopwatch/12 week layoff or not I still wanted to go 6x6 sub 1.50.
#4,600m 1.43.7. Where the fuck did that come from?who cares!!!,although that said I had to hope I hadn't drained the tanks dry w/ 2 repeats to go,I have to say my recovery was good in between repeats,again w/out a watch it was hard to judge but I would go out on a limb my recovery was 2 and a half minutes/3 minutes.
#5,600m 1.48.6.No instant payback for my 1.43.7. which was nice,while "one swallow does not a summer make" I have to say my spike in mileage recently wasn't hindering my speed thankfully.
#6.600m 1.45.9.Oh yeah!way to finish strong and complete my 6/6 sub 1.50,for shits and giggles on Feb 2nd I went:1.45.6,1.48.1,1.49.2,1.54.3,1.58.3,1.50.4.the improvement is there for everyone to see including my oft suspect pacing.

Cool down completed I logged 5 miles for the nite,putting me on 50 mile for the week pace,sadly my plans for a return to my beloved Franklin Field Friday a for 5x1,000m repeat has been put on hold due to an Ivy League Women's Lacrosse tournament here this weekend,hey ho I can trek out to Lower Merion High School on Saturday to round out the week.
It's a tad early to be touting this as a stellar start to phase two of my training for Outdoor Nationals but I must say I'm very pleased so far.

No comments: